"99X Live X Volume 2 - One Life" - Various Artists
U2 Related Content:
- "One" (Live from Washington, Jan. 20, 1993) - Automatic Baby (Michael Stipe, Mike Mills, Adam Clayton & Larry Mullen) (04:21)
Full Track Listing
- Steppin’ Out – Tony Bennett (3:05)
- All I Want to Do – Sheryl Crow (4:49)
- One (Live, January 1993) – Automatic Baby (4:31)
- Laid – James (3:41)
- Zombie – The Cranberries (5:28)
- Fall Down – Toad the Wet Sprocket (3:24)
- Crucify – Tori Amos (5:43)
- Locked Out – Crowded House (3:22)
- Kim the Waitress – Material Issue (5:09)
- Good Enough – Sarah McLachlan (3:59)
- Operation Spirit – Live (4:02)
- I Need Love – Sam Phillips (3:16)
- Am I Wrong – Love Spit Love (3:58)
- I Left My Heart in San Francisco – Tony Bennett (2:12)
“Live X” refers to a concert held by the Atlanta Georgia based radio station 99X where the performers generally perform in an unplugged acoustic style. Each year a CD is compiled from the various Live X concerts held that year as well as other notable performances in the same style. The CDs were released yearly between 1993 and 2007. The 2005 album was titled “Live X II” or “Live X 2” and was subtitled “One Life”. The compilation included a live version of “One” being performed by Automatic Baby, a super group made up of two members of U2 with two members of R.E.M.
In January 1993, members of R.E.M. had plans to perform at MTV’s Inaugural Ball for President Bill Clinton. Not all of R.E.M. was available for the performance, and upon learning that Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen may be available and they were approached to play. The final performance was by Michael Stipe and Mike Mills of R.E.M. joined by Larry and Adam of U2. They decided to name this supergroup “Automatic Baby” taking a portion of the name from each of the band’s last album releases, “Automatic for the People” and “Achtung Baby”. The song they performed was “One”.
The track was broadcast on MTV, and was made available on a variety of compilations over the years including “99 X II Live”, “Just Passin’ Thru” and “Childline”. Each of these were limited run CDs done by local radio stations, and quickly went out of print. In 1997, an album called “Amazing Grace” was put together. The album was widely released by Island Records and is probably the easiest to find out of any of the compilations containing the track, however it too is now out of print.
Automatic Baby was a one off group, and they performed just one song at the Inaugural Ball, this version of “One”. The performance was held on January 20, 1993, at the “MTV Rock and Roll Inaugural Ball” held in Washington DC.
One (Live): Words by Bono. Music by U2. Published by Polygram International Publishing. Recorded at MTVs 1992 Inaugural Ball. Michael Stipe: Vocals. Mike Mills: Vocals, guitar. Adam Clayton: Bass. Larry Mullen: Drums.