"Childline" - Various Artists
U2 Related Content:
- "One" (Live from Washington, Jan. 20, 1993) - Automatic Baby (Michael Stipe, Mike Mills, Adam Clayton & Larry Mullen) (04:21)
Full Track Listing
- One (Live, January 1993) – Automatic Baby (4:27)
- Feelin’ Alright – Paul Weller (4:02)
- Huckleberry Grove – Ocean Colour Scene (3:00)
- Still Life – Alisha’s Attic (3:50)
- Punk Boy – Ash (2:07)
- Ski Jump Nose (Cliff Nourell Mix) – Mansun (3:44)
- Lazy (Original Demo) – Suede (3:12)
- Whiskey in the Jar – Pulp (4:48)
- Better Man – Cast (3:02)
- Ocean Drive (VH1 Acoustic Mix) – Lighthouse Family (3:23)
- Can’t Smile Without You – Menswear (3:59)
- Back Street Luv – Salad (3:30)
- Wichita Lineman – These Animal Men (4:25)
- Dance of the Bad Angel (Archive Mix) – Booth and the Bad Angel (5:04)
- Chaos – Tricky (2:52)
- Possibly Maybe (LFO Lucy Mix) – Bjork (3:02)
- Looking For (Biff Mix) – East 17 (4:01)
- Your Song – Boyzone (3:54)
Childline is an organization in the UK which helps youth at risk, by providing services to council youngsters by phone. This compilation was put together with proceeds going to supporting the organization. The compilation included a live version of “One” being performed by Automatic Baby, a super group made up of two members of U2 with two members of R.E.M.
In January 1993, members of R.E.M. had plans to perform at MTV’s Inaugural Ball for President Bill Clinton. Not all of R.E.M. was available for the performance, and upon learning that Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen may be available and they were approached to play. The final performance was by Michael Stipe and Mike Mills of R.E.M. joined by Larry and Adam of U2. They decided to name this supergroup “Automatic Baby” taking a portion of the name from each of the band’s last album releases, “Automatic for the People” and “Achtung Baby”. The song they performed was “One”.
The track was broadcast on MTV, and was made available on a variety of compilations over the years including “99 X II Live”, “Just Passin’ Thru”, “KZON Collectibles Vol. 4” and “Childline”. Each of these were limited run CDs done by local radio stations, and quickly went out of print. In 1997, an album called “Amazing Grace” was put together. The album was widely released by Island Records and is probably the easiest to find out of any of the compilations containing the track, however it too is now out of print.
Automatic Baby was a one off group, and they performed just one song at the Inaugural Ball, this version of “One”. The performance was held on January 20, 1993, at the “MTV Rock and Roll Inaugural Ball” held in Washington DC.
Words by Bono. Music by U2. Published by Polygram International Publishing. Recorded at MTVs 1992 Inaugural Ball. Michael Stipe: Vocals. Mike Mills: Vocals, guitar. Adam Clayton: Bass. Larry Mullen: Drums.