"Instant Karma: The Campaign to Save Darfur" - Various Artists
U2 Related Content:
- "Instant Karma" (Studio Version) - U2 (03:14)
Full Track Listing:
- Instant Karma — U2
- #9 Dream — R.E.M.
- Mother — Christina Aguilera
- Give Peace A Chance — Aerosmith with Sierra Leone Refuge All-Stars
- Cold Turkey — Lenny Kravitz
- Whatever Gets You Through the Night — Los Lonely Boys
- I’m Losing You — Corinne Bailey Rae
- Gimme Some Truth — Jakob Dylan Feat. Dhani Harrison
- Oh, My Love — Jackson Browne
- Imagine — Avril Lavigne
- Nobody Told Me — Big & Rich
- Jealous Guy — Youssou N’Dour
- Working Class Hero — Green Day
- Power to the People — Black Eyed Peas
- Imagine — Jack Johnson
- Beautiful Boy — Ben Harper
- Isolation — Snow Patrol
- Watching the Wheels — Matisyahu
- Grow Old With Me — Postal Service
- Gimme Me Some Truth — Jaguares
- (Just Like) Starting Over — The Flaming Lips
- God — Jack’s Mannequin feat. Mick Fleetwood
- Real Love — Regina Spektor
Borders Exclusive Tracks:
- Imagine – Willie Nelson
- Happy X-Mas (War is Over) – Angelique Kidjo
International Bonus Tracks:
- Love – The Cure
- One Day at a Time – The Raveonettes
- Mind Games – Eskimo Joe
- Instant Karma – Duran Duran
- #9 Dream – a-Ha
(The international edition omits “Whatever Gets You Thru the Night” by Los Lonely Boys)
iTunes Digital Bonus Tracks:
- Instant Karma – Duran Duran
- Jealous Guy – Deftones
- Mind Games – Gavin Rossdale
- Oh, My Love – Yellowcard
- Crippled Inside – Widespread Panic
- Borrowed Time – O.A.R.
- Woman – Ben Jelen
- Imagine – Me’Shell NdegeOcello
- Well Well Well – Rocky Dawuni
- Mother – Emmanuel Jal
- I Don’t Wanna Face It – The Fab Faux
“Instant Karma: The Campaign to Save Darfur” is a compilation album of various contemporary artists covering the songs of John Lennon. The album was put together as part of Amnesty International’s campaign to alleviate the crisis in Darfur. Yoko Ono donated the music publishing royalties to Lennon’s songs to Amnesty International for use in their campaigns. That donation lead to the “Instant Karma” album.
Jeff Ayeroff, one of the executive producers of the album, said “By reinterpreting his music and reintroducing it to a new generation, we shine a light on the darkness that is Darfur. Yoko Ono’s gift of John’s music to Amnesty International, whose work points out the pain and injustice in the world, is a true beacon of light. Give peace a chance is all we are saying.” All proceeds from the sale of the album supported Amnesty International, specifically their work in Darfur.
The album was released physically as a double CD, and as a digital download. Bonus tracks were included when the album was purchased at Borders, as a bonus with the purchase on iTunes, and different tracks were featured on international editions of the album. On October 8, 2007 iTunes released a set of 66 songs titled “Instant Karma: The Amnesty International Campaign to Save Darfur The Complete Recordings” which featured all the variety of tracks that were released around the world.
U2’s contribution to the album was a cover of Lennon’s “Instant Karma”. The same song was also covered by Duran Duran and Tokio Hotel on some international versions of the album, and by the Sheer, and The Waking Eyes for the digital release. The recording by U2 was nominated for a Grammy Award in 2008 for “Best Rock Performance by a Duo or a Group with Vocal” and it is also included on the “Grammy Nominees 2008” album.
Performed by U2. Produced and mixed by Tal Herzberg. Additional production by Larry Mullen Jr and The Edge.