"Rhythms Del Mundo Cuba" - Various Artists
U2 Related Content:
- "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" (Cuban Remix) - U2 (Featuring Coco Freeman) (4:53)
Full Track Listing:
- Clocks – Coldplay (5:01)
- Better Together – Jack Johnson (3:27)
- Dancing Shoes – Arctic Monkeys (2:29)
- One Step Too Far – Dido and Faithless (3:17)
- As Time Goes By – Ibrahim Ferrer (3:!0)
- I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For – Coco Freeman featuring U2 (4:53)
- She Will be Loved – Maroon 5 (4:05)
- Modern Way – Kaiser Chiefs (3:58)
- Killing Me Softly – Omara Portuondo (4:27)
- Ai No Corrida – Vanya Borges featuring Quincy Jones (4:30)
- Fragilidad – Sting (4:17)
- Don’t Know Why – Vanya Borges (3:10)
- Hotel Buena Vista – Aquila Rose and Idana Valdes (3:37)
- The Dark of the Matinee – Coco Freeman featuring Franz Ferdinand (3:58)
- High and Dry – El Lele de Los Van Van featuring Radiohead (Samples) (5:14)
- Casablanca (As Time Goes By) – Ibrahim and Omara (3:10)
The “Rhythms Del Mundo” project was a nonprofit collaborative album, that fused popular mainstream songs, and infused them with Latin rhythms and vocals. This album was put together by the Buena Vista Scoial Club’s Ibrahim Ferrer and Omara Portuondo. In some cases the tracks have been re-recorded with the original artists, in other cases the original tracks were used and the music from the Buena Vista Social Club was mixed into the original recording. The former was the case with the U2 track, it is mix of new music with an older track, as recorded for “The Joshua Tree”.
Kenny Young of APE, explains how the project came together: “The project was sparked off by the devastating 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami. The idea came in to do a project with The Buena Vista Social Club to fuse their Latin sounds with Western artists and their familiar popular songs. The project evolved when more environmental disasters struck—the Asian Earthquakes and Hurricane Katrina. But the big picture was climate change. You can call these natural disasters but after all the research and scientific data, we know that we’re at least partly to blame for some of these disasters. Global warming is now in the news daily. If we don’t act in the time frame our experts give us, our grandchildren will curse us eternally.”
The proceeds from this album went towards the organization Artists Project Earth, an organization bringing information about climate change to the world.
Other albums have been released in this series since this album, but none have featured U2. There was a follow up with Cuban artists working with famous German artists, and then another album of the artists working with popular mainstream artists again.
I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For:
Coco Freeman featuring U2. Spanish Translation Victor Reina.