"Stand Up To Cancer 2010" - Various Artists
U2 Related Content:
- "With You I'm Born Again / Unchained Melody" (Live, Sep. 10, 2010) - Stevie Wonder, Dave Stewart, The Edge, Aaron Neville, Leona Lewis, Natasha Bedingfield, Martina McBride (05:34)
Full Track Listing:
- I Run to You / Help Me Make It Through the Night – Lady Antebellum & Kris Kristofferson
- Wake Me When September Ends – Billie Joe Armstrong
- With You I’m Born Again / Unchained Melody – Stevie Wonder, Natasha Bedingfield, Leona Lewis, Martina McBride & Aaron Neville
- Yesterday – Neil Diamond & Herbie Hancock
- Stand Up to Cancer – Heart, Jakob Dylan, Leona Lewis, Orianthi, Delta Goodrem, Kelly Price & Dave Stewart
- Stand Up to Cancer Afterhours – All Telethon Performers at Live Performance
The organization Stand Up 2 Cancer held a telethon on September 10, 2010. The telethon was a one hour program, and was aired on all major US TV Networks, and also worldwide in 195 countries. U2 was touring on the U2360° tour at that time in Europe, and would play Zurich Switzerland on September 11 and 12th of that year. However, The Edge, a board member of the Angiogenesis Foundation, an organization dedicated to fighting cancer and other diseases, found a way to participate in the telethon. One hundred percent of the donations at the fund raiser were to go directly into cancer research.
The Edge performed a guitar solo via pre-recorded video. The video was shown on the program as Stevie Wonder, Martina McBride, Dave Stewart, Natasha Bedingfield, and Aaron Neville performed the song “Unchained Melody” live on stage at the telethon. The Edge’s guitar solo comes in after Aaron Neville finishes singing “Unchained Melody”. He plays in a darkened room, and the video of him performing cuts out again as Stevie Wonder and Leona Lewis start singing again.
An album from the performance was released through iTunes following the telethon. “Unchained Melody” is included on the iTunes release, attached to “With you I’m Born Again” as it was in the telethon. The track through iTunes listed the artist as “Stevie Wonder, Natasha Bedingfield, Queen Latifah, Martina McBride & Aaron Neville” and does not mention The Edge as a performer on the song. Dave Stewart is also not mentioned. It also incorrectly identifies Leona Lewis as Queen Latifah. The iTunes release features five songs as performed during the show, as well as a 27 minute jam by the performers who were present at the telethon which was aired after the main telethon ended on select stations including “Sweet Dreams are Made of This” with Dave Stewart and Leona Lewis taking the lead, “Take the Time Out” with Stevie Wonder taking the lead, “Wrong Baby Wrong Baby Wrong” with Martina McBride among other songs. These are included here as one big track, and The Edge has no involvement in any of the performances on this final track.
The album was available on iTunes for a limited time and at the time of this writing is not available.
No traditional liner notes with this digital only release.