Joshua Tree Tour 2017: New Shows Questions and Answers
Original Story by U2Songs.com Staff (2017-06-06)
A new set of dates have been added to the itinerary of The Joshua Tree Tour 2017. These shows will go to presale for u2.com members on Thursday June 8. These new shows are in USA, Mexico and South America. Ahead of that we hope to answer a few questions. This document is put together by the staff at U2Songs.Com using information from U2.Com, Ticketmaster and other ticket agencies, as well as local promoters, and fan sourced information.
- U2.Com should be your first source for information (U2.com help page). The team there will update official tour FAQS and dates will be listed there. Go read it, we’ll be here when you get back!
- U2.Com has a list of dates / cities / opening acts at: http://www.u2.com/tour
- Some people have had difficulties in the past finding their way into the presales. http://www.u2.com/tour will have all of the links on the day of the presale. If you try to go through TM or other sites you may struggle. Best to find the proper link at u2.com.
What shows are being sold?
LEG 3: USA
- Sun Sep 3 – Detroit, MI Ford Field
- Tue Sep 5 – Buffalo, NY New Era Field
- Fri Sep 8 – Minneapolis, MN US Bank Stadium
- Sun Sep 10 – Indianapolis, IN Lucas Oil Stadium
- Tue Sep 12 – Kansas City, MO Arrowhead Stadium
- Sat Sep 16 – St. Louis, MO The Dome At America’s Center
- Fri Sep 22 – San Diego, CA Qualcomm Stadium
LEG 4: MEXICO AND SOUTH AMERICA
- Tue Oct 3 – Mexico City, Mexico Foro Sol
- Sat Oct 7 – Bogota, Colombia, Estadio El Campin
- Tue Oct 10 – Buenos Aires, Argentina La Plata
- Sat Oct 14 – Santiago, Chile Estadio Nacional
- Thur Oct 19 – Sao Paulo, Brazil Morumbi Stadium
Who are the opening acts?
Noel Gallagher and the High Flying Birds is confirmed to be opening the shows in South America and Mexico. There has been no announcement of acts for the third leg (USA dates).
Why were these shows added? Will more shows be added?
- We don’t know why one city was added over others. It’s probably a complicated answer involving routing, taxes, and ticket sales among other considerations. We only know that these shows above have been added. Expect that some cities will get second shows which will only be announced after the first show goes on sale.
Will more shows be added?
- Anything is possible. U2 has added shows after calling a tour complete, this happened with the addition of Moncton in 2011 as the final show on the tour.
- However the announcement of the four new dates for Europe contained the following, “Due to overwhelming demand for tickets following this morning’s public onsale, four additional shows have been added to finalise the European leg of The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 this summer.” It does make it sound like no further European dates will be added.
- The announcement for North America was a little different, “Second and final nights have now been announced for three US cities today.” suggesting that these second shows are the last shows that these cities will get, but not stating that the leg was finalized like the EU announcement.
Where do these go on sale?
- Presale links will be made available at u2.com/tour when the presale opens. We suggest using these links as sometimes it is not easy to find the presales otherwise.
- Presales happen through the local ticket company, and not through U2.com – the links on U2.com will lead you to an external site.
- In the USA that is Ticketmaster.com except for Detroit.
- Detroit tickets are being sold through http://www.fordfield.com/events/detail/u2-the-joshua-tree-tour
- In Mexico the site is believed to be ticketmaster.com.mx
- In Colombia the site is believed to be turboleta.com
- In Buenos Aires the site is believed to be ticketek.com.ar
- In Sao Paulo the site is believed to be ticketsforfun.com.br
- These sites may not be the final location of the presale. As mentioned please use the links at U2.com when entering the presale.
- Although the sales take place through Ticketmaster in many cases it is best to go to the sale via the links at u2.com/tour.
When do these sales start?
- We’ve developed a tool to allow you to find out what time in your own time zone each of these start. We will update this shortly for the new dates. All you have to do is visit the page here.
- We’ve recently edited the time zone calculator to list only the shows going on sale for the second week.
- Times for both Red Hill and Wires Groups will be listed.
What’s Red Hill? Wires?
- There are two presale groups, “Red Hill Group” and “Wires Group”. To be in one of these groups, you have to be a paid subscriber of u2.com.
- At this time it appears the “Red Hill Group” enters the presale first, and the “Wires Group” will enter a day later. In the past, those who have kept their subscription current have had priority access. While new subscribers, and those who let subscriptions lapse and have just resubscribed generally fall into the second group. At this point it is not known what the cut off between these groups is.
- “Red Hill” Group is described as “Long Time Subscribers” on the u2.com site.
How far in advance is the Red Hill Sale?
- For the USA dates, the Red Hill Sale will start 24 hours before the Wires sale.
- For the Mexico and South American dates the Red Hill Sale will start 2 hours before the Wires sale. (Both start the same day)
I was in presales in January and February can I still enter this one?
- Your upper limit on tickets for your presale code is four tickets.
- U2.Com is stating that there will not be new codes issued for this set of presales. So if you used your previous codes completely, you will be unable to participate, even if you renewed your subscription in the meantime. They are still updating information on this at http://www.u2.com/help so please keep checking there.
- If you have already bought four tickets with your presale code, you will not be eligible for this presale.
- Your presale code may work still even if you have reached your limit, and by purchasing more than your four ticket limit you risk having all of your tickets cancelled.
- If you have not bought four tickets, you should still have room to buy more tickets in the presale for the USA. If you bought three before this, you can buy one more. If you bought two before this, you can buy two more, etc. As long as you don’t go over the four ticket limit you should be fine. And yes, you can use those four tickets for multiple cities or dates. For South America where they are requiring you to buy all your tickets from “one location” it is unknown if a partially used code will be usable.
Are there any limits on what I can buy with my code?
- Yes. The sales for South America and Mexico are being handled differently than those in the USA.
- In the USA, you can split your code up and use it in any manner as long as you don’t go over the four ticket limit. You can buy one ticket in each of four cities, or you can buy 2 tickets in one city and one each in two others.
- In South America and Mexico they are saying “you can purchase 4 tickets for a single location.” suggesting that if you use your presale code for a show in Mexico, you will not be able to use it for shows in other cities.
- U2.com also lists “All ticketing code use is audited and anyone found to be abusing presale privileges risks cancellation of ticket purchases and U2.com subscription.”
What kind of tickets are available?
- It is not yet known what type of delivery options are available for South America and Mexico at this time.
- Paperless tickets in North America means your ticket is your credit card that you use to purchase the ticket. At the door the card you used is swiped. You do not get an actual ticket. Credit card entry has been used for the floor in most cities in the USA and will likely be used again.
- Limited edition “collectors tickets” were available for Amsterdam, Paris, London and Rome in the previous sold shows, it is not yet known if these are an option for the South American and Mexican shows. They were not an option for the USA shows on the prior leg.
What is the stage set up like?
- The stage is well documented at this time. This is a continuation of the current tour and will use the same staging.
- As we get more information we will update the venue maps below:
Where do I find out more info about the tour?
- U2.Com should be your first source for information (U2.com help page). The team there will update tour FAQS and dates will be listed there.
- U2.Com has a list of dates / cities / opening acts at: http://www.u2.com/tour
- U2.Com has a longer article discussing the tour at: http://www.u2.com/news/title/the-joshua-tree-tour-2017/news/
- We will maintain this list of questions throughout the ticket buying and right up to the tour if there is interest. If you have a question email it to us at contact @ u2wanderer.org, or tweet us, or facebook us.
- You can also check out our Joshua Tree tour news archive.
How do I find my Presale code?
- Go to the http://www.u2.com/tour page. Right before the dates start, you will see a “YOUR UNIQUE PRESALE ACCESS CODE IS:” followed by a string of numbers and letters.
- Codes are now appearing on the site.
- You can also find your code on the http://www.u2.com/profile page. It also lists on that page what group you belong to. “Red Hill” or “Wires”
What is this Fan Club Bundle I See on Ticketmaster?
- It appears that as in past years, Ticketmaster will allow you to purchase a fan club membership on the second day of the presale and immediately enter into the presale. This gets you in at the same time as a Wires membership. It is not yet know if these will be offered this week.
- This is being listed as a Fan Club Bundle as you buy your fan club membership (yearly subscription to u2.com) and your tickets all at one time.
What is a Collector Ticket?
- These were sold for European shows in the first round of sales in January but only for certain cities.
- This is an add on when you buy your ticket. For an additional 5.95 Euro you could add on a special “Collector Ticket” which will allow you access through the barcode on the ticket.
- It is not known if these will be offered for these new dates.
- The following image was included with the advertisement but mentions the artwork may change:
The video announcement of the tour can be viewed on YouTube.