Surrender: 40 Songs, One Story
Initially published: 2022-11-01
Bono’s autobiography has been in the works for seven years. It was just announced officially on May 10, 2022. At this time we’ve done our best to try to answer some frequently asked questions we have been seeing below…
When is it out?
The release date for the book is November 1, 2022. It was announced on May 10, 2022.
Who wrote the book?
Bono is the author of the book. Unlike previous books about Bono / U2 where someone else was doing the writing, this book is an autobiography.
What years do the book cover?
The book covers Bono’s entire life up until recently. Although the book was planned to be published last fall at one point, we do know additional writing was done throughout last year. So the book should cover up until the most recent years.
What is the layout of the book
We know that there are forty chapters. Each chapter will be named after a U2 song title. Bono has also done 40 illustrations for the interior of the book. Beyond that, we have little information. A graphic on the site in Bono’s handwriting reads “A book of how, who & a bit of why. A MEmoir WEmoir, luminous times with some luminous lives. Confessions of an artist, activist, arsehole, actualist”.
What is the cover?
The cover is a close up photo of Bono’s face taken in 1985 by Anton Corbijn. The yellow text on the book cover is in Bono’s handwriting, like other ‘doodles’ he’s done over the years.
What formats will be available
- Hardcover: This will be the main format available initially. Once a hardcover has sold for a while, a publisher will typically do a softcover run for the mass market.
- e-Book: The book will be available on the day of release as a digital download through most online book stores that provide e-Books.
- Softcover with big Print: In North America there is a softcover version of the book being advertised with big print for those of us with poorer vision.
- Audiobook: A twelve hour audiobook is being prepared with Bono reading his book. This will be available as a digital download or also on a CD version. (At twelve hours, this will be spread across multiple CDs.)
- Limited Print: U2.Com has emailed subscribers in the US, UK, and Ireland with news of a limited photo print (5×7”) which will be available with hardcover versions of the book. The photo appears to be the same in each region. We are not aware of this being available in other countries.
Will the book formats be the same in each country?
No there are usually differences in different countries. The book in the US and Canada is showing differences from the version in the UK and Ireland.
- US / Canada: 576 Pages, 228mm x 155mm
- UK / Ireland: 384 Pages, 240mm x 156mm
The text will be the same in both so the additional page count in North America is likely due to a bigger font and slightly smaller pages. The “Large font” softcover version will have 563 pages.
Who is publishing the book?
The following is a list of publishers who are listed as publishing the book on SurrenderMemoir.com:
- UK and Ireland: Hutchinson Heinemann
- Canada: Doubleday Canada
- Spain and Latin America: Penguin Random House Grupo Editorial
- Germany: Verlagsgruppe Droemer Knaur
- France: Editions Fayard
- Brazil: Editora Intrinseca
- Portugal: Penguin Random House Grupo Editorial
- Italy: Mondadori Libri
- Poland: Wydawnictwo Agora
- Finland: Tammi Publishers
- Denmark: Kristeligt Dagblads Forlag
- Sweden: Bokforlaget Polaris AB
- Norway: Cappelen Damm
- The Netherlands: A.W. Bruna Uitgevers
My country isn’t on the list above will we get the book?
Yes, the book will be available worldwide. If your country isn’t listed above, it is likely you will be getting a copy of the book that has been printed in another country. Australia for instance will be getting copies printed by Hutchinson Heinemann, the same as UK and Ireland.
Will the book be available in languages other than English?
Yes, there will be translated versions of the book, and the above list of publishers likely guides you to what languages the book will be available in. We don’t have a full list of translated versions yet, but can confirm a German translation by Charlotte Breuer and Norbert Möllemann will be released on November 2 in Germany via Droemer Knaur. A Spanish version of the book is being listed in some stores with a November 3 release date, but little detail is available.
Where Can I find out more?
A sample of the book from the chapter, “Out of Control” has been made available as a video, previewing some of the contents of the chapter as well as Bono’s illustrations which have been animated.
The website for the book itself is SurrenderMemoir.com