"CALM" - 5 Seconds of Summer
U2 Related Content:
- "Best Years" (Studio Version) - 5 Seconds of Summer (Featuring The Edge) (03:10)
Full Track Listing:
- Red Desert (03:49)
- No Shame (03:13)
- Old Me (03:07)
- Easier (02:38)
- Teeth (03:26)
- Wildflower (03:41)
- Best Years (03:10)
- Not in the Same Way (03:26)
- Love of Mine (03:26)
- Thin White Lies (03:02)
- Lonely Heart (03:24)
- High (02:56)
- Easier (Live from the Vault)
- Teeth (Live from the Vault)
- No Shame (Live from the Vault)
The Edge adds his guitar to the song “Best Years” on the 2020 album release from 5 Seconds of Summer, CALM. The song is track seven on the new album, runs 3:10 in length, and is one of the songs that was composed with producer Ryan Tedder, who has worked with U2 on Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience. The song was not part of the preview tracks for the album, and the full version will only be released when the album is available. 5 Seconds of Summer are signed to Interscope Records. The band formed as teenagers in Australia in 2011, and are known for their hit “Youngblood.” The album title, CALM is an amalgamation of their names, Calum, Ashton, Luke and Michael.
Luke Hemmings, lead singer of the band discussed the track on Apple Music, “The first demo was just one guitar and my vocal. Me and Ryan Tedder wrote the bulk with the vocals on our own, and then we had The Edge from U2 play the guitar on the bridge. That was awesome. The song is a beautiful love note-something I felt I needed to get off my chest. That’s the best way songwriting can be: cathartic.” Michael Clifford, guitarist with the band, spoke with the Toronto Sun about The Edge (and Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine) joining the band on the album, “Our producer is respected in the rock community and he’s friends with all of those guys and he really backed our band. I think he was working on the Ozzy Osbourne record (Ordinary Man) at the time and he said, ‘Hey, I’m working with 5 Seconds of Summer and they’re massive fans of you guys. Would you be down to play a little session in a song?’ Both of them said sure, so it was cool to get that support. Over the years, we’ve had the opportunity to work with some of our biggest inspirations in music, so this is just another bucket-list thing that we’ve checked off.”
The album is released in a number of different formats.
- 12-Inch Pink Vinyl (Available through 5SOS direct) (0250877999)
- 12-Inch Black Vinyl
- 12-Inch Blue Vinyl (Available at HMV (UK) and independent Record Stores)
- Boxset including standard CD, hat, photo cards and patch pack (0874818CA)
- Cassette: Neon pink (0858557CA)
- 5-Inch CD (0858556CA)
- 5-Inch CD, signed with Calum Cover
- 5-Inch CD, signed with Ashton Cover
- 5-Inch CD, signed with Luke Cover
- 5-Inch CD, signed with Michael Cover
- Bundle with CD, and four cassettes, one featuring each band member, with cassettes in blue, purple, white and grey.
- Deluxe 5-Inch CD (Available as a Target Exclusive in the USA, and through various retailers elsewhere.)
- Digital Versions
A set of four remixes were also released through the Calm meditation / relaxation app on March 26, 2020. This includes a remix of the song “Best Years”.
Written by: Luke Hemmings, Ali Tamposi, Andrew Wotman, Nathan Perez & Ryan Tedder.
Vocals: Michael Clifford, Luke Hemmings, Calum Hood, Ashton Irwin
Guitar: Michael Clifford, Luke Hemmings, Happy Perez, and watt. Additional guitar: The Edge
Bass: Calum Hood
Drums: Ashton Irwin and watt.
Background vocals: Michael Clifford, Luke Hemmings, Happy Perez, Calum Hood, Ashton Irwin, watt and Ali Tamposi
Programmer: Happy Perez and watt.
Produced by watt. Recording engineer: Paul LaMalfa, Michael Freeman and Geoff Swan. Mastering engineer: Dave Kutch. Mixing engineer: Mark “Spike” Stent.
Related Promotional Videos
- 2020-03-26 Edge appears on 5 Seconds of Summer’s song, “Best Years” (Original Story)
- 2020-02-25 Edge and 5 Seconds of Summer in March (Original Story)