"Reflections (A Retrospective)" - Blige, Mary J.
U2 Related Content:
- "One" (Without Bono Main Vocal) - Mary J. Blige and U2 (04:20)
Full Track Listing:
- “Reflections (I Remember)” – Mary J. Blige
- “We Ride (I See the Future)” – Mary J. Blige
- “You Know” – Mary J. Blige
- “King & Queen” – Mary J. Blige with John Legend
- “No More Drama” – Mary J. Blige
- “Family Affair” – Mary J. Blige
- “Real Love” – Mary J. Blige
- “No One Will Do” – Mary J. Blige
- “Be Without You” – Mary J. Blige
- “911” – Mary J. Blige with Wyclef Jean
- “Not Goin’ Cry” – Mary J. Blige
- “My Live 06” – Mary J. Blige
- “Be Happy” – Mary J. Blige
- “I’ll Be There For You / You’re All I Need to Get By” (Razor Sharp Mix) – Mary J. Blige
- “As” – Mary J. Blige with George Michael
- “One” – Mary J. Blige with U2
- “MJB da MVP” – Mary J. Blige with 50 Cent
It is important to note that USA and Canadian pressings of this album have no U2 content. The added content on international editions outside of the USA and Canada have the content that is discussed here.
This one has escaped our notice for many years, but the version of “One” that is featured on this compilation album of Mary J. Blige’s is a unique version. Unlike the other mixes of “One” that were released with Mary J. Blige and U2, this one strips out Bono’s vocal, leaving Blige to sing more of the song. Bono is only present on backing vocals in an early chorus on the song. Like the original version of the song, Adam Clayton is credited with bass, The Edge is credited with guitar and Larry Mullen is credited with drums. Bono is credited on backing vocals and guitar. This alternate, almost Bono free version of the song is only available on this compilation.
Originally this album was scheduled for a November 2005 release under the name Reminisce…Until the Breakthrough but the decision was made to delay the album to allow Blige time to finish an album of new material. That album became The Breakthrough and was released on December 19, 2005. On the album, and released for the first single, was the original version of “One” featuring both Blige and Bono on the vocals of the song.
Some additional new material was recorded for a repacked version of The Breakthrough the following year. But in the end, Blige returned to the idea of a compilation of hits featuring this new material. It includes four new songs. On the UK and other international editions of the album there are three added bonus tracks, including a different version of “One”. Blige sings all of the lyrics, and Bono appears on only one chorus in the background on this new version. On the original, Bono sang the first part of the song and was present throughout. Versions of the album released in the USA and Canada (and perhaps other regions) do not include “One.” The album was released in Europe on December 1, 2006, and in the UK a few days later on December 4, 2006.
Additional Backing Vocals and guitar: Bono
Bass: Adam Clayton
Drums, Percussion: Larry Mullen Jr.
Guitar: The Edge
Producer: Ron Fair / Tal Herzberg
Recording Engineer: Carl Glanville