"Small World, Big Band Vol. 2: More Friends" - Holland, Jools and his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra
U2 Related Content:
- "If You Wear that Velvet Dress" (Studio Version II) - Bono, Jools Holland and His Rhythm and Blues Orchestra (06:22)
Full Track Listing:
- Together we are Strong – featuring Sam Brown / Sam Moore (3:41)
- In the Dark – featuring Norah Jones (3:01)
- Snowflake Boogie – featuring Edwin Starr (3:33)
- The Only Face – featuring Brian Ferry (3:13)
- What Goes Around – featuring Dionne Warwick (3:35)
- Don’t you Kiss My Cheek – featuring Tom Jones (3:07)
- Out of this World – featuring Chrissie Hynde (4:13)
- Rock Me – featuring the Blind Boys of Alabama (2:34)
- First Time I Ever Saw Your Face – featuring Stereophonics (3:56)
- Fly Me to the Moon – featuring Huey (Fun Lovin’ Criminals) (2:27)
- The Can is Open – featuring Badly Drawn Boy (3:19)
- Yours Sincerely, Confused N10 – featuring Ray Davies (4:11)
- Tuxedo Junction – Jools Holland (3:33)
- Let the Boogie Woogie Roll – featuring Robert Plant (2:37)
- Drown in My Own Tears – featuring Jeff Beck (3:16)
- Count Me In – featuring Ruby Turner (3:10)
- You’ve Got to Serve Somebody – featuring Marianne Faithfull (4:10)
- Anglegrinder Blues – featuring C. Barber and G. Barker (2:55)
- Change is Gonna Come – featuring Beverly Knight (4:23)
- Teardrops in My Eyes – featuring George Benson (4:42)
- Dreams – featuring Jimmy Cliff (3:20)
- If You Wear that Velvet Dress – featuring Bono (6:22)
Jools Holland is an English pianist, bandleader, singer, and television presenter on the show “Later…with Jools Holland”. He formed his “Jools Holland Big Band” in 1987 with his co-member of Squeeze, Gilson Lavis, and that band would go on to become the “Rhythm & Blues Orchestra”. In 2001, Holland and the Rhythm & Blues Orchestra approached several musicians to record with them, and put out the album “Small World, Big Band”. The album was well recieved, and in 2002 Holland began work on the second volume in the series.
On September 22, 2002, Holland recorded with Bono and the orchestra. The song they chose to record was “If You Wear That Velvet Dress”. The song had originally appeared on U2’s 1997 album “Pop”, but here it is freshly re-recorded, with brand new vocals recorded by Bono. The song from “Pop” may have been chosen, because at the time U2 were preparing the songs for their own “The Best of 1990 – 2000” and had chosen to rework a number of songs from “Pop” in the studio for release on that album. With the “Pop” album under review, it could have been fresh in Bono’s mind when choosing a song to do on this project. The album was released on November 18, 2002 in the UK, and not until May in North America.
A third version of the series “Small World, Big Band” was released in 2003. A compilation of the best songs appearing on the “Small World, Big Band” records was released in 2007, and also featured “If You Wear That Velvet Dress” recorded with Bono.
If You Wear that Velvet Dress:
Hewson / Evans / Clayton / Mullen. Recorded 22.09.02. Produced, engineered and mixed by Laurie Latham. Additional engineering by Ron Burrow, Jay Newland, Michael C. McCoy, Damon Eliot, Andy Wright, John Roper. Gilson Lavis: Drums. Mark Flanagan: Guitar. Dave Swift: Bass. Christopher Holland – Organ. Jason McDermid: Trumpet. Chris Storr: Trumpet. Phil Veacock: Saxophone. Michael Rose: Saxophone, Flute. Lisa Grahame: Saxophone. Peter Long: Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Clarinet, Piccolo. Nick Lunt: Baritone Saxophone. Sam Brown: Vocals. Dinah Beamish: Cello. Emily Burridge: Cello. Frank Shaffer: Cello. Abigail Trundle: Cello. Tim Wilford: Violin. Anna Herney: Violin. Emil Chitakov: Violin. Marina Solarek: Violin. Sonya Fairburn: Violin. Iain McLeod: Violin. Brian Wright: Violin. Giles Broadbent: Violin. Jeff Moore: Violin. Anne Stephenson: Violin. Gina Bell: Violin. Julia Singleton: Violin. Nick Cooper: Cello. Richard Ward Roden: Cello. Guy Barker: Trumpet. Fayaz Virgi: Trombone. Pat Hartley: Trombone. Claudia Fontaine: Backing Vox. Laurie Latham: Percussion, Clavinova Choir.