"Live Songs of iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE" - U2
Fan Club Release
Track Listing: (Live Songs of Innocence)
- "The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)" (Live from New York, Jul. 27, 2015 - Fade In / Out) - U2 (05:07)
- "Iris (Hold Me Close)" (Live from Montreal, Jun. 6, 2018) - U2 (04:57)
- "Cedarwood Road" (Live from Paris, Dec. 7, 2015) - U2 (XX:XX)
- "Song for Someone" (Live from Boston, MA, Jul. 15, 2015 - Fade In / Out) - U2 (04:21)
- "Raised by Wolves" (Live from Stockholm, Sep. 22, 2015 - Fade In / Out) - U2 (04:55)
- "Invisible" (Live from Toronto, Jul. 6, 2015 - Fade In / Out) - U2 (04:32)
- "The Troubles" (Live from Vancouver, May 14, 2015) - U2 with Lykke Li (XX:XX)
- "California (There is No End to Love)" (Live from Chicago, Jul. 2, 2015 - Fade In / Out) - U2 (03:43)
- "Every Breaking Wave" (Live from Chicago, Jun. 28, 2015) - U2 (XX:XX)
- "The Crystal Ballroom" (Live from Boston, Jul. 14, 2015) - U2 (XX:XX)
- "Volcano" (Live from London, Nov. 2, 2015) - U2 (XX:XX)
Track Listing: (Live Songs of Experience)
- "Love is All We Have Left" (Live from Uniondale, Jun. 9, 2018) (02:57) - U2
- "The Blackout" (Live from Belfast, Oct. 28, 2018 - Fade Out) (05:01) - U2
- "Lights of Home" (Live from Copenhagen, Sep. 30, 2018 - Fade In / Out) (04:37) - U2
- "Landlady" (LIve from Milan, Oct. 12, 2018) (XX:XX) - U2
- "Red Flag Day" (Live from Cologne, Sep. 4, 2018 - Fade In / Out) (03:45) - U2
- "Get Out of Your Own Way" (Live from New York, Jul. 1, 2018) (XX:XX) - U2
- "American Soul" (Live from Las Vegas, May 12, 2018) (XX:XX) - U2
- "Summer of Love" (Live from Hamburg, Oct. 4, 2018 - Fade In / Out) (03:43) - U2
- "You're The Best Thing About Me" (Live from Inglewood, CA, May 16, 2018) (XX:XX) - U2
- "The Little Things That Give You Away" (Live from Rome, Jul. 15, 2017 - Fade In / Out) (05:25) - U2
- "Love is Bigger Than Anything in its Way" (Live from Uncasville, Jul. 3, 2018 - Fade In / Out) (05:09) - U2
- "13 (There is A Light)" (Live from Amsterdam, Oct. 8, 2018 - Fade In / Fade Out) (04:44) - U2
The “Live Songs of iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE” is a two-CD compilation sent to U2.Com subscribers as the annual subscriber gift for 2019. At this time it has not yet started to reach subscribers, but the latest news says that the release is “now mixed, mastered and making its way through the pressing plant.” The disc features one disc of live versions of songs from the Songs of Innocence album. The second disc features live versions of songs from the Songs of Experience album. All of the songs performed live from those two albums are represented on this release, with the exception of two bonus tracks, “Lucifer’s Hands” and “Ordinary Love.” The version of “The Little Things that Give You Away” is taken from the 2017 tour. Both releases are roughly sequenced to match the song flow from the 2015 and 2018 tours. All of the songs on the first disc are taken from 2015 with the exception of “Iris (Hold Me Close)” which is taken from the 2018 tour. There are 23 songs in total in this collection, and they will be packaged with a collection of photos from the tours from which the songs are taken.
The new gift was first announced on November 20, 2018, and at that time it was listed as a two-CD gift focused on the 2015 and 2018 tours, and from the initial announcement it looked as if the title of this release would be Innocence + Experience Live, 2015 & 2018 but we now know the title is “Live Songs of iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE”. The gift is for subscribers who renew or subscribe new for the 2019 year, and if your subscription ends part way through 2019, and you’ve already gotten another gift, you will not get this gift without re-subscribing.
The full initial announcement on U2.Com read as follows:
“Two albums. Two tours. Two years. A limited edition double CD & digital release capturing the i+e Tour and the e+i Tour is the 2019 special gift for U2.com Subscribers. It’s the ultimate live set on double CD, beautifully presented in a photographic book documenting the iNNOCENCE and eXPERIENCE tours of 2015 and 2018. This one-off special release, produced by the band especially for U2.com subscribers, will not be on sale online or in store.”
“From ‘The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)’, ‘Every Breaking Wave’ and ‘Song for Someone’ to ‘The Blackout’, ‘Get Out Of Your Own Way’ and ’13 (There Is A Light)’, this is the ultimate live companion to Songs Of Innocence and Songs Of Experience, celebrating two extraordinary tours. The complete tracklisting will be published in early 2019 with shipping beginning in Spring 2019. From January until dispatch of the double CD set, we’ll be offering regular downloads of these new live tracks.”
Initially the purple coloured image that can be seen below in the information on the downloads was used for all communications about the offer. This image was also used on posters and on T-shirts during the tour. As of April 26, a different image is now being used, the yellow-orange one that can be seen to the right on the page.
On January 16, 2019, U2.Com launched a poll to pick between six tracks to be the first two downloads from this collection. Although the poll started out strong for “The Troubles” and “The Little Things That Give You Away” in the end it was “Song for Someone” and “The Little Things That Give You Away” that got the bulk of the votes, with “The Little Things” being a clear favourite in the poll. “The Little Things That Give You Away” was a surprise to many, considering the song was not performed on either of the 2015 or 2018 tours. It was however performed on “The Joshua Tree” tour in 2017.
The first two downloads were made available on February 26, 2019. Both tracks are encoded at 320kbps. Both tracks fade in from silence and fade out again at the end. The downloads are listed as belonging to the album Live Songs of iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE in the metadata, which looks to be a switch in what the package was originally being called. Perhaps they realized the name needed to be altered slightly when they added the track from 2017. At that time the full track list had not been announced but a news page at U2.com lists “More downloads coming soon and news on release dates for the subscribers-only live double CD, the definitive live companion to Songs Of Innocence and Songs Of Experience.”
On April 26, 2019, a second set of downloads were made available. This included the previous two downloads, now with the new embedded artwork for the album cover, as well as two new songs. The package of four tracks, was available at U2.Com for those who have renewed for the 2019 subscription year. If you have not yet subscribed for 2019, these will become available only when you have resubscribed. They are available at your U2.Com profile page. You must be logged in to see them. The article accompanying the new downloads identified that the songs would be mixed by Richard Rainey for this release, and that the final track listing for the double album is “nearly complete”, and that additional artwork, further downloads and dispatch information would follow next month.
The following month, May 2019, saw the release of two additional songs, released this time as a single zip file with six tracks. The songs were released on May 27, and featured the embedded artwork of the album, the same as the previous month. At this time no release date for the CD set has been announced. The downloads are edited at the start and end of each track with a fade in and fade out. It is not known if these fades will be present on the album eventually released.
The full track listing was announced on July 21, 2019, confirming our suspicions that the release would only include songs from Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience. Two additional downloads were made available in the early morning on July 26, taking the total to eight, and two more were released on August 28 taking the total downloads to 10. Operators at U2.Com are now telling those who call that the fan club gift will begin to ship in August but at this time they have not begun to ship.
Related Promotional Videos
- 2019-07-25 A Closer Look at the Fan Club Tracks (Original Story)
- 2019-07-10 The 2019 U2 Fan Club Gift (Original Story)