"October" - U2
Remastered Album (2008 Master)
Track Listing (Disc One):
- "Gloria" (Studio Version) - U2 (04:13)
- "I Fall Down" (Studio Version) - U2 (03:39)
- "I Threw a Brick Through a Window" (Studio Version) - U2 (04:54)
- "Rejoice" (Studio Version) - U2 (03:38)
- "Fire" (Studio Version) - U2 (03:52)
- "Tomorrow" (Studio Version) - U2 (04:39)
- "October" (Studio Version) - U2 (02:21)
- "With a Shout (Jerusalem)" (Studio Version) - U2 (04:03)
- "Stranger in a Strange Land" (Studio Version) - U2 (03:57)
- "Scarlet" (Studio Version) - U2 (02:53)
- "Is That All?" (Studio Version) - U2 (03:02)
Track Listing (Disc Two):
- "Gloria" (Live from London, Dec. 6, 1982 - Fade In) (04:43) - U2
- "I Fall Down" (Live from London, Dec. 6, 1982 - No Fades) (03:02) - U2
- "I Threw a Brick Through a Window" (Live from London, Dec. 6, 1982 - No Fades) (03:52) - U2
- "Fire" (Live from London, Dec. 6, 1982 - No Fades) (03:32) - U2
- "October" (Live from London, Dec. 6, 1982 - Fade Out) (02:22) - U2
- "With a Shout (Jerusalem)" (Live from London, Sep. 3, 1981 - Richard Skinner) (03:34) - U2
- "Scarlet" (Live from London, Sep. 3, 1981 - Richard Skinner) (02:46) - U2
- "I Threw a Brick Through a Window" (Live from London, Sep. 3, 1981 - Richard Skinner) (04:18) - U2
- "A Celebration" (Studio Version) (02:57) - U2
- "J. Swallow" (Studio Version) (02:20) - U2
- "Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl" (Studio) (02:35) - U2
- "I Will Follow" (Live from Boston, MA, Mar. 6, 1981 - Fade In / Out) (03:44) - U2
- "The Ocean" (Live from Boston, MA, Mar. 6, 1981 - Encore - Fade In / Out) (02:15) - U2
- "Cry / The Electric Co." (Live from Boston, MA, Mar. 6, 1981 - Edit - Fade In / Out) (04:28) - U2
- "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" (Live from Boston, MA, Mar. 6, 1981 - Encore - Fade In / Out) (04:57) - U2
- "I Will Follow" (Live from Hattem, May 14, 1982 - Fade In / Out) (03:52) - U2
- "Tomorrow" (Common Ground Version) (04:36) - Bono and Adam Clayton
On April 9, 2008, U2 announced that their first three albums would be reissued in newly remastered formats, complete with bonus content. This release took place on on July 21, 2008 throughout most of the world, with the North American release occurring the next day, on July 22. The albums were issued in four different formats, including a single CD, a 2CD version including a disc of rare tracks, an LP edition on 180g vinyl (main album only, no bonus tracks), and a digital release through outlets such as iTunes. In addition, the 2CD versions of each album were collected in a special box set that included a poster as well as room for the yet-to-be-released remastered CD/DVD edition of Under a Blood Red Sky. This box set was initially available exclusively through amazon.com in the USA, but was later made available through other outlets.
The cover art for the reissued October uses the same full-colour band photo found on the original release, but increases its size and eliminates the white border and the track list. The single-disc reissue came in a plastic jewel case, while the two-disc set was housed in a hard cover book format with sleeves for the two discs affixed to the inside front and back covers. An outer slipcase, also featuring the full-colour cover photo, provides a protective cover for the book. A full track list for both CDs can be found on the back of the slipcase.
The liner notes included with all versions feature an essay by Neil McCormick, a music journalist and longtime friend of the band. The single CD included a 24-page booklet with lyrics and photos in addition to the essay. The double CD expanded the page count to 42, adding liner notes by The Edge for many of the rare tracks included on the second disc.
The bonus disc in the 2CD edition includes many previously released tracks taken from singles. Non-album single “A Celebration” and it’s b-side, “Trash, Trampoline, and the Party Girl,” originally released in March of 1982, are included on the deluxe release, with “A Celebration” making its first appearance on a U2 CD with this release. “J. Swallo” was a b-side to “Fire” in July 1982. “I Will Follow (Live from the Paradise Theatre)” was released as the b-side to “Gloria” in October 1981. “The Ocean,” “The Cry/Electric Co.” and “11 O’Clock Tick Tock,” all recorded live at the Paradise Theatre in Boston, had also featured on various versions of the “Fire” single in July 1981. The version of “The Cry/Electric Co.” on this reissue is shorter than that found on the original “Fire” single or on the iTunes-only The Complete U2 because the snippet of “Send in the Clowns” has been removed. “I Will Follow (Live from Hattern)” had been released as a single in both Germany and the Netherlands in 1982. Finally, “Tomorrow (Common Ground Remix)” is actually a 1996 re-recording of the song rather than a remix, featuring Bono, Adam Clayton, and a number of guest musicians. It was originally released on the multi-artist Common Ground compilation.
Some previously unreleased tracks were also included to fill out the bonus CD. These included five tracks taken from a concert recorded by the BBC at Hammersmith Palais, and three tracks taken from an in-studio appearance at the Richard Skinner Show. The Hammersmith Palais show took place on December 6, 1982 and was a full concert. By this time, U2 had begun to introduce songs from War into the set list. “Gloria,” “I Fall Down,” “I Threw a Brick Through a Window,” “Fire,” and “October” are included here from that performance. The concert was taped and broadcast by the BBC on January 8, 1983. The songs “With a Shout,” “Scarlet,” and “I Threw a Brick Through a Window” were recorded for an in-studio appearance on the Richard Skinner Show on BBC Radio 1. This appearance took place on September 3, 1981. Also performed that day, but not included on the bonus disc, was “Boy-Girl.” These tracks would be aired on September 8, 1981. None of these tracks had been officially released by the band prior to 2008, but due to being sourced from a radio broadcast, they appeared on many bootleg recordings over the years.
Vocals: Bono. Guitars – Piano: The Edge. Bass: Adam Clayton. Drums: Larry.
Producer: Steve Lillywhite. Studio: Windmill Lane Dublin, July – August 81. Manager: Paul McGuinness. Engineer: Paul Thomas. Assistant Engineer: Kevin Maloney. Oilean Pipes & Bodhran: Vincent Kilduff.
Crew: Tim, Joe the Hurley, Pod, Steve, Robbie, Chris, Jake & Billy.
Agency London: Ian Wilson & Ian Flooks – Wasted Talent. Agency New York: Frank Barsalona & Barbara Skydel – Premier Talent.
Mastered by Ian Cooper – Townhouse.
Re-mastering directed by The Edge.
Album production managers: Steve Matthews, Sally-Anne McKeown & Candida Bottaci.
Research and archive analysis: Cheryl Engels, Partial Productions. Re-Mastering produced by Cheryl Engels, Partial Productions. Re-mastering engineering by Arnie Acosta at Bernie Grundman Mastering. Mastering Assistance by Scott Sedillo. Technical Support by Thomas “Beno” May.
U2 catalogue re-release co-ordinator: Nick Stewart & Associates.
Gloria, I Fall Down, I Threw a Brick Through a Window, Fire, October (Live in Concert at Hammersmith Palais, December 6th, 1982):
Recorded live in concert by BBC Radio at Hammersmith Palais, 1982. Released by arrangement with BBC Music. Produced by Pete Dauncey. Engineered by Dave Mulkeen. Recorded on December 6, 1982, first transmitted on BBC Radio 1 on January 8, 1983.
With a Shout, Scarlet, I Threw a Brick Through a Window (BBC Radio Session with Richard Skinner, September 3rd, 1981):
Recorded for BBC Radio 1’s “Richard Skinner Show” at Maida Vale Studios. Released by arrangement with BBC Music. Produced by Dale Griffin. Engineered by Mike Robinson & Mark Farrar. Recorded on September 3, 1981, first transmitted by the BBC on September 8, 1981.
Non Album Single. Released March 1982. Catalogue number: WIP 6770. Produced by Steve Lillywhite.
Featured on “Fire” Double 7” Vinyl Pack. Released July 1981. Catalogue number: WIP 6679. Produced by Steve Lillywhite. Engineered by Paul Thomas.
Trash, Trampoline and the Party Girl:
B-side to “A Celebration”. Released March 1982. Catalogue number: WIP 6770. Produced by Steve Lillywhite.
I Will Follow (Live at The Paradise Theatre, Boston):
Recorded live at Boston’s Paradise Theatre on March 6, 1981. B-Side to “Gloria” 7”. Released October 1981. Catalogue number: WIP 6733. Engineered by Bob Demuth.
The Ocean, The Cry / Electric Co., 11 O’Clock Tick Tock (Live at The Paradise Theatre, Boston):
Recorded live at Boston’s Paradise Theatre on March 6, 1981. Featured on “Fire” Double 7” Vinyl Pack. Released July 1981. Catalogue number: WIP 6679. Engineered by Bob Demuth.
I Will Follow (Live from Hattem):
Recorded live from Hattem, Holland for Veronica’s Countdown on May 14, 1982. Released in the Netherlands and Germany only in 1982. Catalogue number: 104.525. Produced by Steve Lillywhite.
Tomorrow (Common Ground Remix) – (Bono & Adam Clayton):
Included on the “Common Ground” compilation album. Released in 1996. Catalogue number: PRMTVCD1. Arranged by Adam Clayton, Bono and Donal Lunny. Performed by Bono, Adam Clayton, Donal Lunny, Sharon Shannon, Oisin Lunny, Stephen Daley & Nollaig Ni Chathasaigh. Produced by Donal Lunny.
Sleeve Layout: Rapid Exteriors. Photography: Ian Finlay.
Cover design and art direction by Steve Averill. Packaging design by Gary Kelly at Four5One Creative. Additional Photography: Adrian Boot & Hugo McGuinness.
Related Promotional Videos
- Gloria (Meiert Avis) (03:44)
- 2019-10-10 Two New Vinyl Reissues on Coloured Vinyl (Original Story)
- 2016-05-17 Sliding Down the Surface of Streams Vol. 1 (Original Story)