"The Virtual Road: U2 Go Home: Live from Slane Castle" - U2
U2 Related Content:
- "Beautiful Day" (Live from Slane, Sep. 1, 2001 - Fade In Only) - U2 (04:24)
- "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of" (Live from Slane, Sep. 1, 2001 - No Fades Version II) - U2 (04:40)
- "All I Want is You" (Live from Slane, Sep. 1, 2001 - No Fades Version II) - U2 (04:28)
- "Where the Streets Have No Name" (Live from Slane, Sep. 1, 2001 - Fade Out Only) - U2 (06:01)
As part of The Virtual Road series of concerts, a series of digital EPs were also issued, with one EP being released for each concert in the series. These were released for sale in digital storefronts worldwide, and added to streaming services. The first of the four EPs is one with tracks taken from the 2001 Slane Castle performance. This EP was released in a variety of quality levels, including high resolution audio versions of the songs. The four songs are new mixes of the songs, and are mixed so that the EP plays continuous with no fade out between tracks, even though these songs did not follow each other in concert, with the exception of “All I Want is You” and “Where the Streets Have No Name”. This makes them slightly different than the previous versions available via the U2 Fan Club, via U2.Com.
The mp3 format of the release via Qobuz has an error in the encoding which means there is 0.050s of silence at the start of each track, which results in an audible silence when switching between tracks. If you plan on buying a compressed version, we would recommend another service, as this appears to be just a problem with the Qobuz tracks.
The Virtual Road is a series of four previous concert releases, being shown on YouTube for free in March and April 2021, including the Slane Castle video from 2001, as well as the performances from Red Rocks in 1983, Mexico City in 1997 and Paris in 2015. These follow on similar shows of Zoo TV Live From Sydney, Elevation Live from Boston, Vertigo Live from Chicago, and the Experience and Innocence Tour Live from Berlin all shown in high resolution via U2.Com in 2020. At this time no physical release is planned for these shows, and there is no known plans for a physical release of this digital EP.
The four EPs released to support The Virtual Road are:
- 2021-03-17: The Virtual Road: U2 Go Home: Live from Slane Castle
- 2021-03-25: The Virtual Road: U2 Live At Red Rocks: Under A Blood Red Sky
- 2021-04-01: The Virtual Road: PopMart Live from Mexico City
- 2021-04-10: The Virtual Road: iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE: Live from Paris
Separate from the EP, U2 are also adding videos to their YouTube page, and various digital storefronts. Unlike the full performance, these will remain up after the initial 48 hours. On YouTube these have been posted at 1080p, on other services they are standard definition. Three videos from Slane Castle are available:
- Elevation (Live from Slane Castle, Ireland / 2001)
- Beautiful Day (Live from Slane Castle, Ireland / 2001)
- Where the Streets Have No Name (Live from Slane Castle, Ireland / 2001)
All three videos are not only available on YouTube, but are also available at standard definition at services such as iTunes and Tidal.
Related Promotional Videos
- 2021-03-18 The Virtual Road: Slane Castle (Original Story)
- 2021-03-15 U2 Announce “The Virtual Road” (Original Story)
- 2021-03-01 A Closer Look at U2’s Video Refresh (Original Story)