"Your Song Saved My Life" - U2
- "Your Song Saved My Life" (Single Version) - U2 (03:30)
U2’s “Your Song Saved My Life” is a single taken from the soundtrack to the animated film, Sing 2. The song plays over the end credits in the film. The song was officially announced on November 1, 2021, after a week of teases on social media by U2. The single was released digitally on November 3, 2021, and at this time no physical release has been announced. The song will be included on the soundtrack to Sing 2, which is due to be released on December 17, 2021. The film opens on December 22, 2021 in North America, and at various dates around the world.
The song had it’s worldwide debut on radio via BBC Radio 2, where Jo Whiley played the song at the end of her Shiny Happy Playlist. As the final notes were playing on BBC, the song was made available on streaming services, digital storefronts, and also sent out for promotion at radio.
Bono’s involvement in the film was announced on December 21, 2020. He voices a character by the name of Clay Calloway, a retired rock star in the film. Speaking of the choice to play the character Bono said, “Clay Calloway is quite the character. I like to think I was part of his construction. Garth Jennings asked me about singing and where it came from. I surprised myself and him by answering with a line that would make it into the film: ‘Some people sing for a living, some people sing to survive.‘”Clay Calloway is a lion who lost his roar. A singer who lost his reason to sing when he lost his muse. A retired, reclusive rockstar with a big shaggy mane and low-frequency rumble of a grumble. He’s also got guns on his property…paintball guns…and a mixed relationship with his fans.”
U2’s involvement in the movie also includes giving permission for some of their songs to be used elsewhere in the film. Including a performance of “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” by Scarlett Johannson’s character Ash. Bono will sing the song with Johannson on the soundtrack and in the film. The cast of the film will also sing “Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of” and “Where the Streets Have No Name” but Bono will not be present on those songs.
The film was originally planned for a December 2020 release, but was pushed back to July 2021, and later December 2021 due to issues related to COVID-19. It is expected that Bono’s vocals for the film were recorded pre-pandemic.
Your Song Saved My Life (Single Version):
Music by U2. Lyrics by U2.
Produced by Declan Gaffney, Jacknife Lee and Martijn Garritsen.
Vocals by Bono. GUitar by The Edge. Bass by Adam Clayton. Drums by Larry Mullen. Piano by The Edge.
Additional Piano by Jacknife Lee. Additional Guitars by Martijn Garritsen, Mark Otten.
Strings Arranged & Performed by Davide Rossi.
Background Vocals by The Edge, Jacknife Lee.
Programmng by Jacknife Lee, Martijn Garritsen.
Mixed by Martijn Garritsen & Mark Otten at STMPD Studios.
Mastered by Martijn Garritsen & Mark Otten at STMPD Studios.
Editing and Additional Engineering by Matt Bishop.
Recognition and Awards
- Nominated, Original Song from an Animated Film, Hollywood Music in Media Awards, 2021 (Did not win)
Related Promotional Videos
- Your Song Saved My Life (Lyric Video by Unknown) (03:36)
- Your Song Saved My Life (Official Video by Aya Tanimura) (04:53)
- 2021-11-27 Sing 2 Early Access Screening (Original Story)
- 2021-11-03 U2 Updates: Nov. 3, 2021 (Original Story)
- 2021-11-01 “Your Song Saved My Life” U2’s New Song Out on Wednesday (Original Story)
- 2021-10-27 Sing 2 Dates, Numbers, and more (Original Story)
- 2021-10-18 Sing 2 Soundtrack release Dec. 17, 2021 and Other Related News (Original Story)
- 2021-07-30 Sing 2 Updates (Original Story)
- 2021-06-24 “Sing 2” Trailer Released, Bono Revealed (Original Story)
- 2020-12-21 Bono to Appear in Sing 2 (Original Story)