"Amazing Grace" - Various Artists
U2 Related Content:
- "One" (Live from Washington, Jan. 20, 1993) - Automatic Baby (Michael Stipe, Mike Mills, Adam Clayton & Larry Mullen) (04:21)
Full Track Listing:
- Amazing Grace – Ani DiFranco (7:08)
- The White Spirit – Uman (5:26)
- Set Adrift on Memory Bliss – PM Dawn (4:10)
- Calling all Angels (Live) – Jane Siberry (5:44)
- Unfinished Story – Djamel Ben Yelles (3:58)
- Dreaming my Dreams (Live) – The Cranberries (3:41)
- Redemption Song – Bob Marley (3:45)
- One (Live, January 1993) – Automatic Baby (4:21)
- Summertime – Angelique Kidjo (3:36)
- I Will Never Be the Same (Live) – Melissa Etheridge (4:09)
- Rain – Wally Badarou (3:01)
- Amazing Grace – Daniel Lanois featuring Aaron Neville (3:48)
In January 1993, members of R.E.M. had plans to perform at MTV’s Inaugural Ball for President Bill Clinton. Not all of R.E.M. was available for the performance, and upon learning that Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen may be available and they were approached to play. The final performance was by Michael Stipe and Mike Mills of R.E.M. joined by Larry and Adam of U2. They decided to name this supergroup “Automatic Baby” taking a portion of the name from each of the band’s last album releases, “Automatic for the People” and “Achtung Baby”. The song they performed was “One”.
The track was broadcast on MTV, and was made available on a variety of compilations over the years including “99XII Live”, “Just Passin’ Thru”, “KZON Collectibles Volume 4” and “Childline”. Each of these were limited run CDs done by local radio stations, and quickly went out of print.
In 1997, this album called “Amazing Grace” was put together and released under Island Records. The proceeds from the release of this compilation went to Bone Marrow Cancer research. The album was widely released by Island Records and is probably the easiest to find out of any of the compilations containing the track, however it too is now out of print.
Automatic Baby was a one off group, and they performed just one song at the Inaugural Ball, this version of “One”. The performance was held on January 20, 1993, at the “MTV Rock and Roll Inaugural Ball” held in Washington DC.
Words by Bono. Music by U2. Published by Polygram International Publishing. Recorded at MTVs 1992 Inaugural Ball. Michael Stipe: Vocals. Mike Mills: Vocals, guitar. Adam Clayton: Bass. Larry Mullen: Drums.