"America: A Tribute to Heroes" - Various Artists
U2 Related Content:
- "Peace on Earth / Walk On" (Live from London, Sep. 21, 2001) - U2 and Dave Stewart, N. Imbruglia, & Morleigh Steinberg (05:26)
Full Track Listing:
- My City of Ruin – Bruce Springsteen (4:35)
- Love’s In Need of Love – Stevie Wonder (4:47)
- Peace on Earth / Walk On (Live from London, September 21, 2001) – U2 (5:26)
- There Will Come a Day – Faith Hill (3:46)
- I Won’t Back Down – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (3:53)
- Hero – Enrique Iglesias (4:31)
- Imagine – Neil Young (3:12)
- Someday We’ll All Be Free – Alicia Keys (4:51)
- Wish You Were Here – Limp Bizkit / John Rzeznik (3:43)
- New York State of Mind – Billy Joel (6:01)
- I Believe in Love – Dixie Chicks (4:21)
- Everyday – Dave Matthews (3:31)
- Redemption Song – Wyclef Jean (4:10)
- Hero – Mariah Carey (4:24)
- Livin’ On a Prayer – Bon Jovi (4:52)
- Safe and Sound – Sheryl Crow (5:03)
- Fragile – Sting (2:44)
- Long Road – Eddie Vedder (4:17)
- Bridge Over Troubled Waters – Paul Simon (4:37)
- God Bless America – Celine Dion (3:47)
- America the Beautiful – Willie Nelson (4:40)
In the wake of attacks made against the USA on September 11, 2001, a telethon was organized to assist with the aftermath of the attacks. The telethon was created by the heads of the four major US television networks, and featured musical performances, celebrities manning the telephones and was aired uninterrupted and commercial free. The telethon took place on September 21, 2001.
U2’s performance was broadcast from a studio space in London via Satellite. Joining U2 for the performance was former Eurythmic, David A Stewart on guitar, as well as Natalie Imbruglia, the Edge’s partner Morleigh Steinberg, and an unknown third back up singer. They opened with “Peace on Earth” before continuing into “Walk On”. This performance of the song garnered U2 a Grammy nomination for “Best Rock Performance by a Duo or a Group” at the 2003 awards. In 2004, Rolling Stone Magazine named the entire telethon “one of the 50 moments that changed rock and roll”. The format of the telethon would inspire the format of later telethons such as “Shelter from the Storm” (2005 for Hurricane Katrina) and “Hope for Haiti Now” (2010 for the Haiti Earthquake).
This album is compiled from performances done on September 21, 2001 done for a television tribute. All proceeds from this album were for the September 11 Telethon Fund. The compilation was a collaborative effort between various labels including Universal, Sony, BMG, EMI and Warner Brothers. A DVD of the performances was also released at the same time as the audio CDs.
If anyone has any confirmation of the identity of the third backing singer please contact us with that information.
Peace on Earth / Walk On: Written by U2.