"Hope for Haiti Now" - Various Artists
U2 Related Content:
- "Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)" (Studio Version 1.0) - Jay-Z, Rihanna, Bono and The Edge (04:20)
- "Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)" (Live from London, Jan. 22, 2010) - Jay-Z, Rihanna, Bono and The Edge (04:27)
Full Track Listing:
- Send Me an Angel – Alicia Keys (3:43)
- A Message 2010 – Coldplay (4:04)
- We Shall Overcome – Bruce Springsteen (2:52)
- A Time to Love / Bridge over Troubled Water – Stevie Wonder (4:01)
- I’ll Stand By You – Shakira featuring the Roots (3:55)
- Motherless Child – John Legend (4;11)
- Hard Times Come Again No More – Mary J. Blige featuring the Roots (3:57)
- Breathless – Taylor Swift (3:51)
- Lift Me Up – Christina Aguilera (3:45)
- Driven to Tears – Sting (3:34)
- Halo – Beyoncé feat. Chris Martin (3:31)
- Like a Prayer – Madonna (3:29)
- Hallelujah – Justin Timberlake (4:15)
- Let it Be – Jennifer Hudson featuring the Roots (3:53)
- Many Rivers to Cross – Emeline Michel (3:01)
- Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour) (Live Version) – Jay-Z featuring Bono, The Edge and Rihanna (4:27)
- Alone and Forsaken – Dave Matthews featuring Neil Young (3:30)
- Rivers of Babylon / Yele – Wyclef Jean (3:55)
- Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour) (1.0 Version) – Jay Z featuring Bono, The Edge and Rihanna (4:20)
On January 12, 2010 an earthquake devastated Haiti. George Clooney and Wyclef jean created the “Hope for Haiti Now: A Global Benefit for Earthquake Relief”. This was a charity telethon, aired for two hours on January 22, 2011, and was patterned after the 2001 “America: A Tribute to Heroes” and the 2005 “Shelter from the Storm” telethons. The telethon featured musical performances, reports from Haiti, and conversations with celebrities. At the end of the telethon, one could buy the performances on iTunes worldwide.
Prior to the telethon, Jay-Z, Bono, The Edge, and Rihanna worked together on a new track with producers Swizz Beatz and Declan Gaffney, entitled “Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)”. Swizz Beatz discusses the formation of the track: “Sitting in the studio and watching Haiti hurting, I knew immediately I had to do something,” said Swizz Beatz. “I reached out to my friends Bono and Jay-Z and asked for their help. Jay and Rihanna sent their vocals and that same night Bono and I went into the studio.” Swizz Beatz added, “Its important we as a global community all come together to help. Haiti needs us right now.” Swizz Beatz also gives some insight into the track: “The idea of the song is ‘We’re not gonna leave you stranded’ and that’s what the chorus is. So me and Bono started going back and forth with ideas, and he was like, ‘You know this word stranded keeps standing out to me’ and I asked him to sing it, and he put me on hold ‘cause he’s recording the ideas on a Dictaphone — so he did it there and then on the phone.”
For the telethon, one could purchase the song from Jay-Z, Bono, The Edge and Rihanna if they pre-purchased the album, and download it immediately. The remainder of the tracks were made available after the telethon, including a second version of “Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)”. During the telethon, a pre-recorded performance by Jay-Z, Rihanna, Bono and the Edge taped at The Hospital Club in London England earlier in the day was broadcast. This ‘live’ performance was the second version of the song that was released through iTunes.
The digital album was released the following day on iTunes, although “Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour) (1.0 Version)” was released during the telethon. Initially only available through iTunes it was quickly made available at Amazon and Rhapsody and other digital services. The album debuted at number 1 on the Billboard 200, in only two days of availability. It became the first digital exclusive album to top the Billboard 200 list. The album also set a record as the biggest one day pre-order in iTunes history. All benefits from the sale of the album went to Haiti relief organizations. The album has not been released in a physical format.
A third version of “Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)” appeared on U2’s “Duals” Fan Club Release.
No traditional liner notes in this digital download.
Related Promotional Videos
- 2010-01-27 Hope for Haiti Debuts at #1 (Original Story)
- 2010-01-21 Hope for Haiti Download (Original Story (www.u2wanderer.org))
- 2010-01-16 New Song for Haiti (Original story)