"Mandela - Long Walk to Freedom" - Various Artists
U2 Related Content:
- "Ordinary Love" (Studio Version) - U2 (03:39)
Full Track Listing:
- Mzala – The Havana Swingers
- Hoya Rona – Tony Kgorge, Mandela OST Cast
- Be My Guest – The Manhattan Brothers
- Afrika Will be Saved – Mandela OST Cast
- Jikela Emaweni – The Manhattan Brothers
- Kaphume Aphendlini – Dizu Plaatjies
- Long Trousers Kwela – Elias LeRole
- Quickly in Love – Todd Matshikiza, Pat Williams
- Amuck – Art Blakey
- War – Bob Marley & the Wailers
- Bahleli Bonke Etilongweni – Mandela OST Cast
- The Revolution Will Not be Televised – Gil Scott-Heron
- Nelson Mandela – The Special AKA
- Thetha No Botha / Siyaya Epitoli – Innocent Modiba
- Thula Baba – Mandela OST Cast
- Nkosi Sikelel Iafrika – Mandela OST Cast
- Ordinary Love – U2
“Ordinary Love” was announced to be a song that was appearing in the movie “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom”. U2 wrote and recorded the new song at the request of producer Harvey Weinstein. The song was announced on October 17, 2013, and a short snippet of the song could be heard in the trailer for the movie released that same day. The trailer was made available for subscribers of u2.com shortly before it debuted on Yahoo Movies. The song was the first song released from U2’s collaborations with producer Brian Burton aka Danger Mouse, who had been working with U2 on their next album since 2010. Backing vocals on the song are by Angel Deradoorian, most well known for her work with Dirty Projectors.
The song is found on the soundtrack album for the film, but not the score release for the film, so be cautious when tracking this release down that you have the proper CD.
On October 29, 2013, it was announced that “Ordinary Love” would be released as a 10-Inch vinyl single as part of the Record Store Day “Back to Black Friday” event. It was also pressed as a promotional single and used to promote the move in a quest to bring consideration for both the Golden Globe and the Academy Awards. The version used on the soundtrack album is the same version as the found on these singles, and the soundtrack album is the only place to find a copy on a commercial release in a CD format. An alternate mix of the song was also streamed as a digital release on soundcloud.com, but as yet has not appeared on any release.
Pre-orders were taken for the soundtrack at a variety of online stores, including iTunes. When purchased early, the song “Ordinary Love” was made available to download immediately. These digital pre-orders were started on December 2, 2013 in the UK and Europe, and the following day in North America.
Music by U2 & Brian Burton. Lyrics by Bono. Produced by Danger Mouse. Additional production by Declan Gaffney. Mixed by Tom Elmhirst and Danger Mouse. Assisted by Ben Baptie. Recorded by Declan Gaffney. Assisted by “Classy” Joe Visciano. Additional recording by Grant Ransom, Ben Baptie and Barry Gorey. Wurlitzer and Synth by Barry Gorey. Additional Synths and Piano by Declan Gaffney and Brian Burton. Backing vocals by The Edge and Larry Mullen Jr. Additional backing vocals by Angel Deradoorian. Mixed at Electric Lady Studios, New York
Related Promotional Videos
- Ordinary Love (Paul Epworth Mix by Oliver Jeffers, Mac Premo) (03:53)
- Ordinary Love (Lyric Video by Oliver Jeffers, Mac Premo) (03:38)