"New Releases Autumn 1993" - Various Artists
U2 Related Content:
- "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)" (Promotional Edit) - U2 (02:44)
- "The Wanderer" (Promotional Edit) - U2 + Johnny Cash (02:21)
Full Track Listing:
- What Goes Around – John Miles
- It’s Not Over Yet – John Miles
- In Our Time – Keely Hawkes
- Break Away – Keely Hawkes
- The Peaches and Cream – Fischer-Z
- Naked Love (Baby Love Me…) – Smokie
- Follow The Midnight Sun – Maggie Reilly
- Don’t Wanna Lose – Maggie Reilly
- Jealous Mind – S.I.N.
- Stay (Promotional Edit) – U2
- The Wanderer (Promotional Edit) – U2 and Johnny Cash
- Faraway So Close – Nick Cave
- Why Can’t I Be Good – Lou Reed
- Royo Y Lllanto – Princessa
- Anytime and Anywhere – Stephan Massimo
- Fisch Im Netz – Herbert Gronemeyer
- Everybody – Savage World
- Timebomb – Savage World
- It’s Only Your Mind – X.E.S.
- Rain – X.E.S.
Full Track Listing:
What Goes Around – John Miles
It’s Not Over Yet – John Miles
In Our Time – Keely Hawkes
Break Away – Keely Hawkes
The Peaches & Cream – Fisher-Z
Naked Love (Baby Love Me) – Smokie
Follow the Midnight Sun – Maggie Reilly
Don’t Wanna Loose – Maggie Reilly
Jealous Mind – S.I.N.
Stay (Faraway, So Close!) (Promotional Edit) – U2
The Wanderer (Promotional Edit) – U2 and Johnny Cash
Faraway So Close – Nick Cave
Why Can’t I Be Good – Lou Reed
Royo Y Lllanto – Princessa
Anytime and Anywhere – Stephan Massimo
Fisch Im Netz – Herbert Gronemeyer
Everybody – Savage World
Timebomb – Savage World
It’s Only Your Mind – X.E.S.
Rain – X.E.S.
This promotional release by EMI Records was pressed in the Netherlands for distribution throughout Europe in August 1993. It featured a selection of songs from releases on the EMI Electola label in the fall of 1993. That was the label that the soundtrack for Wim Wenders film “Faraway So Close” was being released on, and the label took the opportunity to include a number of tracks from that soundtrack album from artists that normally are not found on the EMI label. This is how U2 ended up appearing on an EMI promotional album in 1993.
The songs included here are the two tracks that U2 contributed to “Faraway So Close” – “Stay (Faraway, So Close!)” and “The Wanderer”. On that particular soundtrack the version of both songs differ from the album version found on “Zooropa”. In both cases the songs are longer and contain alternate vocal tracks. The two edits here are edits of the soundtrack versions, and are not edits of the album versions of the song. Both are edited to under three minutes for this promotional release.
The promotional CD was released with full inserts, front and back in a regular jewel case. Both “Faraway So Close” by Nick Cave and “Why Can’t I Be Good” by Lou Reed, are also taken from the movie soundtrack for a total of four songs from that soundtrack on this promotional album.