"The Busk" - Various Artists
U2 Related Track:
- "Running to Stand Still" (Live from Dublin, Dec. 19, 2021) - Bono and the Busk Choir (05:28)
Full Track Listing:
- “Running to Stand Still” – Bono & The Busk Choir (05:29)
- “Goodnight World” – Lisa O’Neill
- “Astronaut” – Damien Rice, Glen Hansard & Rónan O’Snodaigh
- “In the Half-Light” – Laura Quirke (05:12)
- “Fitzcarraldo” – The Frames (06:25)
- “Young Soldier” – Adam Mohammed (01:59)
- “Forever Young” – Liam O’Maonlai & The Busk Choir (06:53)
- “Ní Ceadmhach Neamhshuim” – Louise Mulcahy & Manchán Magan (04:40)
- “Big Love” – Lily (04:49)
- “Tá’n t’Ádh Liom” – Rónan O’Snodaigh, Myles O’Reilly & Stephen James Smith (06:52)
At the end of 2021, Bono participated in a special edition of The Busk in Dublin, held at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Dublin, as Covid related issues were still causing large gatherings to be frowned on. Filmed in advance, the performance was streamed worldwide on Christmas Eve, with money raised going towards Simon Community, and their work with homeless populations in Dublin. More information about Simon Community and links to buy the album direct can be found here. The record was recorded live at St. Patrick’s Cathedral on December 19 and 20, 2021.
An album with performances captured from the event was released on December 9, 2022. The album was released on vinyl via thebuskrecord.com and was available at shops throughout Ireland as well. The only physical format at this time is vinyl. The album was also released as a digital release, first in Ireland only, on December 9, 2022. The release outside of Ireland on digital services took place on January 13, 2023. The album is available on both digital download sites, as well as streaming sites. On both the record, and on the digital album, Bono’s version of “Running to Stand Still” opens the album, but the remainder of tracks fall in different orders depending on whether it is the vinyl version of the album, or digital. The track list on vinyl includes “Goodnight World” by Lisa O’Neill as the second track, but the digital version of the album omits that track.
The record itself is a double-sided 140g vinyl. The record is being pressed using new technology, with the record itself being made from zero waste eco-mix recycled PVC, and the sleeve will be a PEFC certified sleeve. The cover art has been corrected. The recycling of vinyl has created a unique record where each copy appears to be unique. The vinyl ranges from black in colour, to green, to brown, to turquoise, with each colour typically having swirls of other colours within. See our catalog section below for some images.
Bono has been participating with Glen Hansard’s busking sessions at Christmastime since 2009. The artists often would gather in the streets around Grafton to perform a handful of songs. With Covid-19, the busking had to change, and after skipping 2019, has moved inside to televised or streamed events these last two years. We have a full list of U2’s participation at these sessions here, and there is more detail on Bono’s appearance at St. Patrick’s Cathedral.
Related Promotional Videos
- 2021-12-24 The Busk to be Released (Original Story)
- 2021-12-19 Bono’s Annual Christmas Eve Busk (Original Story)