This Day In U2 History
May 15Most frequent user: AJS
- Brian Eno born. (1948)
- Although U2 are originally listed to be playing a gig at the N.I.H.E. in Limerick with support by The Myster Men, it is believed that the show was cancelled.
- Frank Sinatra passes away. Bono had this to say in a press release issued that day, “Frank Sinatra was the 20th Century, he was modern, he was complex, he had swing and he had attitude. He was the boss but he was always Frank Sinatra. We won’t see his like again.” (1998)
U2 Shows on This Day
- 1981: California Hall, San Francisco, CA, USA [U2]
- 1982: BBC 2, Manchester, England [U2]
U2 perform a short three song set, which is broadcast on Something Else the following week on the BBC. The broadcast takes place on May 21, 1982.
- 1987: Brenden Byrne Arena, East Rutherford, NJ, USA [U2]
- 1993: Estádio José Alvalade, Lisbon, Portugal [U2]
- 1996: Church of the Assumption, Howth, Ireland [Bono and The Edge]
All of U2 attend the funeral of Hot Press writer Bill Graham, and Bono and The Edge join with other musicians to perform “Tower of Song.”
- 1997: B.B. King's Blues Club, Memphis, Tennessee [U2]
Taking a break from the PopMart tour The Edge ends up singing with the house band while Larry Mullen looks on.
- 2001: United Center, Chicago, IL, USA [U2]
- 2011: Azteca Stadium, Mexico City, Mexico [U2]
- 2015: Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC, Canada [U2]
- 2018: The Forum, Inglewood, CA, USA [U2]