60 Things I’ve Learnt from Bono
Original Story by Harry Kantas (2020-05-10)
To add to today’s trend of lists, and in no particular order, here’s a bit of advice passed down throughout the years, through direct quotes, lyrics, or takeaways from conversations or speeches.
Some of the following might even contradict each other, but you’d hope there is some contradiction inside 60 years of figuring out the world.
Add your own Bono wisdom if you’d like!
1. Don’t buy just anyone’s cockatoo.
2. You can appreciate faith, without buying into religion.
3. Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you.
4. Don’t let the bastards grind you down.
5. It’s OK to be uncool.
6. With Innocence, you can’t change the world, but you can change the world in you.
7. With Experience, you can change the world, but you can’t change the world in you.
8. Celebrity is ridiculous, but watch out for those that do something worthwhile with it.
9. Trust in people, but don’t trust people.
10. Instant Karma’s gonna get you, if I don’t get you first.
11. Don’t let others limit you, but do remind yourself that it’s 2 shit albums, and you’re out.
12. If you respect someone, earn their respect in return, not their attention.
13. The more you see, the less you know.
14. The less you know, the more you believe.
15. Compromise is NOT a dirty word.
16. Do you really have the answer, or were you asking the wrong question?
17. When the soul wants, the soul waits.
18. What you think of as freedom, might just be greed.
19. Not feeling whole is not a weakness, it is empowerment of your other halves.
20. A friend is someone who lets you help.
21. Angry words won’t stop a fight, two wrongs won’t make it right.
22. You can’t fight fate.
23. There is true power in letting go.
24. We GET to carry each other.
25. You miss too much these days if you stop to think.
26. Ambition bites the nails of success.
27. Stasis will kill you, not ambition.
28. Megalomania works, if you put the hours in!
29. Home is where the hurt is.
30. You don’t have to always be right.
31. Where you live should not decide whether you live.
32. Time is irrelevant, and infinity’s a great place to start as any.
33. The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
34. A liar won’t believe anyone else.
35. If you dream, then dream out loud.
36. Glorify the past, but make sure the future doesn’t dry up.
37. If you don’t know what it is, then it must be art!
38. You can be both sincere, and sincerely wrong.
39. There will always be shit storms, only thing you can do is carry a good umbrella.
40. Make fun of yourself often, you’re the only one that can do it right.
41. You can help someone without telling anyone else about it. Falling trees still make a sound.
42. We don’t have to share the same interests, tastes or religion to learn from each other.
43. Vision over visibility is a powerful world view.
44. The darkness is where you learn to see.
45. Don’t try and drown your sorrows, they always learn to swim.
46. You can’t fix everything, so fix what you can.
47. Happiness if for those who don’t really need it.
48. Being jealous of others is pointless. It almost always means moving to a smaller house, of sorts.
49. I don’t know you. And you don’t know the half of it.
50. Every generation should get a chance to change the world.
51. A feeling is stronger than a thought. You can forget your words, but still evoke the same feeling.
52. Seasons change and so does everyone.
53. Switching sides on the barricade is inevitable. Just make sure you like who you see on both sides.
54. Fashion will almost always eventually fall out of fashion.
55. It’s your world, you can change it.
56. Because we can, we must!
57. What you don’t have, you don’t need.
58. Love is bigger than anything in its way.
59. It’s not why you’re running, it’s where you’re going.
60. Everything you know is wrong, in some shape or form.
Happy Birthday #Bono!