Elevation Tour Songs: Lifting You Higher
Original Story by Aaron J. Sams (2001-12-25)
[Update: May 24, 2017: We now have a Spotify playlist of these songs available for your listening pleasure.]
Now that U2’s Elevation tour has finished, we have compiled a list of some of the songs used throughout the tour as the band takes the stage, and leaves the stage.
First of all is a mix of songs that were played prior to U2 taking the stage. These songs were mixed, and seemed to be played at multiple concerts throughout the tour. All of these were played before U2 is on the stage:
- Yellow – Coldplay
- Movin’ On Up – Primal Scream
- Elevate My Mind – Stereo MCs
- Move On Up – Curtis Mayfield
- Higher Ground – Stevie Wonder
- Mother, We Can’t Get Enough – The New Radicals
- Stop at Nothing – Stereo MCs
- (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher – Jackie Wilson
- Astounded – Bran Van 3000
- I Want to Take You Higher – Sly & The Family Stone
- Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band – The Beatles
- All You Need is Love – The Beatles
Early in the tour, from the opening show in Fort Lauderdale, the song just before U2 took the stage was “Mother, We Can’t Get Enough” by The New Radicals. By the third leg of the tour this had shifted and the band were now playing “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” and then “All You Need is Love” prior to taking the stage. Looking at the songs included it is hard not to see a theme in the songs that were chosen.
At all of the shows, U2 took the stage to one of their own songs, a remix of “Elevation” called the Influx Mix. The remix is by Johnny Moy and Leo Pearson, and can be found on U2’s “Elevation” single.
At the end of the night, U2 used a number of songs after the show is complete. Initial shows included the song “Satisfy My Soul” by Bob Marley, but this was soon replaced with U2’s own, “Grace” which was the favorite ending song through most of the tour. But both nights the band performed at Slane Castle the band used “The Unforgettable Fire” as fireworks filled the sky.