Here Are the Top Selling 2017 Record Store Day Releases in Canada
Exclaim! Music by Calum Slingerland (2017-05-08)
The 10th annual Record Store Day celebrations have come and gone, and though the flipping of exclusive releases for exorbitant prices online is inevitable, there were some positives to take away from the 2017 event.
According to newly released stats from Nielsen Music Canada, the week of Record Store Day’s April 22 event saw a 349 percent life in sales of vinyl LPs at Canadian retailers when compared to the week prior, while physical singles sales grew by 1,600 percent.
RSD also created an 8 percent increase in overall album sales at retail in comparison to a 12 percent decline in the rest of the market, while retailers grew to encompass 10.2 percent of the total album business during the week of the event, according to the numbers.
As far as individual acts went, Alexisonfire’s single-LP reissue of Crisis led the pack in Canada as the top selling RSD release, with Neil Young’s Decade compilation taking second place after returning to vinyl for the first time since its original 1977 issue. The Doors’ Live at the Matrix ’67 snapped up the third spot, while the RSD exclusive vinyl debut of Coheed and Cambria’s Good Apollo I’m Burning Star IV slid into fourth on the list.
When it came to singles, the Canadian sales of Pink Floyd’s “Interstellar Overdrive” were out of this world, with the release landing the top spot. Pearl Jam’s “State of Love & Trust” b/w “Breath” sold the second most, while John Williams’s Star Wars: A New Hope single was the third highest-selling single of the event, according to the numbers.
Pore over the list below, and take in our list of the best and worst that this year’s Record Store Day had to offer here.
Top Vinyl LP Albums (RSD Exclusives):
1. Alexisonfire – Crisis
2. Neil Young – Decade
3. The Doors – Live at the Matrix ’67
4. Coheed & Cambria – Good Apollo I’m Burning Star IV
5. Rush – Cygnus X-1
6. Santana – Live at the Woodstock Music & Art Fair
7. David Bowie – Cracked Actor
8. Various Artists – Space Jam: Music from and Inspired by the Motion Picture
9. The Notorious B.I.G. – Born Again
10. Claypool Lennon – Lime and Limpid
Top Singles (RSD Exclusives):
1. Pink Floyd – “Interstellar Overdrive”
2. Pearl Jam – “State of Love & Trust” b/w “Breath”
3. John Williams – Star Wars: A New Hope
4. The Smiths – “The Boy With the Thorn in his Side”
5. U2 – “Red Hill Mining Town”
6. Toto – “Africa”
7. Alice in Chains – “What the Hell” b/w “Get Born”
8. The Lumineers – Song Seeds
9. Deee-Lite – “Groove is in the Heart” b/w “What is Love?”
10. Red Hot Chili Peppers – “Go Robot” b/w “Dreams of a Samurai”