Interscope 30 Limited Release of ATYCLB
Original Story by Aaron J. Sams (2022-01-31)
Last week it was announced that U2 would be participating in the Interscope 30th birthday celebrations with a limited edition pressing of All That You Can’t Leave Behind. It is part of a series of albums being reissued to celebrate Interscope’s birthday. The album was U2’s first release on the Interscope label.
Each release is being sold via NTWRK and are limited to just 100 copies. Each features an 11.5×11.5-inch giclee print replacing the usual album cover. The print is signed by the artist of the artwork, and attached to a custom dyed linen wrapped vinyl jacket. Each album ships in a box designed by Gucci. The vinyl is a single disc pressing of the album. Also included is a large format catalog of the art exhibit.
The artwork for the U2 album is inspired by U2’s “Beautiful Day”, and is by artist John Currin. Currin is a New York based painter. The painting used for the front of the U2 cover is called “Newspaper Couple” and was part of an art gallery show in London in 2016. A couple share a smile about something being read in a morning paper. Odd objects sit on both people, and a ghost of a bird sits on the lady’s shoulder. A fly is perched on the lady’s other hand on the man’s shoulder. The original painting is oil on canvas.
The painting was completed by Currin in 2016. Adam Clayton visited Currin in his New York City studio in the same year.
John Currin and Adam at his studio NY. pic.twitter.com/7h7eieQ2ll— U2 (@U2) October 8, 2016
The albums retail for $2,500. This is not an auction, but a set price for each of the 100 copies of the album. The artwork is also part of a museum exhibit Artists Inspired by Music: Interscope Reimagined which is running now at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art until February 13. Interscope and NTWRK have committed to donating 100% of the net profits to the Iovine and Young Foundation, which is building a school in South Los Angeles and will use the funds toward the school.
Speaking of the celebration, Jimmy Iovine, co-founder of Interscope shared, “Interscope’s original mission was to find the most profound artists, empower their creativity and watch what happens. For the 30th, we wanted to continue that vision by assembling the most admired visual artists and empower them with that same creative license to honor the musical artists we have worked with over three decades.”
57 albums from Interscope artists are being reimagined for this 30th birthday celebration, and each is available at 100 copies. Many artists have agreed to have multiple albums in the promotion, but U2 have only allowed the one album to appear. U2 also appear on Kendrick Lamar’s DAMN album (with new cover by Toyin Ojih Odutola or Henry Taylor) and on Mary J. Blige’s album The Breakthrough (with new cover by Derrick Adams).
The U2 album went on sale on January 30 at 7:30pm. Copies are still available. Purchases are not tax deductible.
The full list of contributing musical artists / albums is as follows:
- 2Pac (All Eyez on Me, The Don Killuminati, Me Against the World)
- 50 Cent (Get Rich or Die Tryin’)
- 6LACK (Free 6LACK)
- Black Eyed Peas (The E.N.D.)
- Blackpink (The Album)
- Blackstreet (Another Level)
- Mary J. Blige (The Breakthrough)
- Lana Del Ray (Paradise, Norman Fucking Rockwell, Born to Die)
- Dr. Dre (The Chronic, Chronic 2001)
- Billie Eilish (When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go?, Don’t Smile At Me)
- Eminem (8 Mile Soundtrack, The Marshall Mathers LP, Recovery, Revival, Encore, Kamikaze, Relapse, The Marshall Mathers LP 2, The Eminem Show, The Slim Shady LP, Music to be Murdered By, Music to be Murdered By Side B
- Eve (Scorpion)
- The Game (The Documentary)
- Selena Gomez (Rare)
- Helmet (Meantime)
- Juice WRLD (Goodbye and Good Riddence)
- Lady Gaga (Joanne, Fame Monster)
- Kendrick Lamar (DAMN. (2 versions), Good Kid M.A.A.D. City (2 versions), To Pimp A Butterfly (2 versions))
- Machine Gun Kelly (Tickets to My Downfall)
- N.E.R.D. (Seeing Sounds)
- Nine Inch Nails (Broken, The Downward Spiral)
- No Doubt (Tragic Kingdom)
- Olivia Rodrigo (SOUR)
- Snoop Dogg (Doggystyle)
- Gwen Stefani (The Sweet Escape, Love. Angel. Music. Baby.)
- Timbaland (Shock Value)
- U2 (All That You Can’t Leave Behind)
- Summer Walker (Over It)
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs (It’s Blitz!, Fever to Tell