The Joshua Tree Tour Rumours.
Original Story by U2Songs.com Staff (2017-01-08)
UPDATE: January 8, 2017 8:30pm EST:
Due to the amount of information received today we’ve decided to clean up the list a bit and hit the high points below. The original article before this evening is also below:
Joshua Tree Tour RUMOURS:
- NA Stadium Tour, possibly starting in North America on May 12 in Vancouver BC, and ending in Cleveland OH on July 1
- EU Stadium Tour, possibly starting in London on July 8, and ending in Brussels on August 1.
- In the case of good sales, either ‘end’ date could extend the leg by one day.
- All of the shows will be focused on “The Joshua Tree” in some way.
- Tour announcement is expected on Monday, January 9, between 8am and 9am EST. A late note on Sunday evening suggests that the announcement may have moved forward even further, but did not specify a time. At this point we don’t know what to expect.
- Opening acts may include Noel Gallagher (Europe), Mumford and Sons (Some USA Dates) and The Lumineers (Some USA Dates)
- Bonnaroo Festival may include an appearance by U2. The full line up is expected on Wednesday January 11, at 8am (Local time in TN) The festival runs from June 8 – 11.
North America Specific Rumour Highlights:
- May 12: Suspected date for Vancouver, BC Place Stadium start of tour.
- May 20, possibly May 21: Suspected dates for Los Angeles, Rose Bowl Stadium.
- June 3, possibly June 4: Suspected dates for Chicago, Soldier Field
- July 1: Suspected date for Cleveland OH, First Energy Stadium and possible end of leg.
- Early June: Rumoured Date for Toronto Ontario.
- Late June: Rumoured Date for East Rutherford NJ.
- For other cities, see the older article below for more information.
- Other cities expected to include Seattle, Miami, Tampa, Raleigh, Dallas, Houston, and Philadelphia (in no particular order).
Europe Specific Rumour Highlights:
- July 8: Suspected date for London England.
- July 15, and possibly July 16: Suspected date for Rome, Italy, Olympic Stadium
- July 22: Suspected date for Dublin Ireland, Croke Park.
- July 25: Suspected date for Paris France: Stade de France
- August 1: Suspected date for Brussels, Belgium, and possible end of leg.
- For other cities, see the older article below for more information.
- Other cities include Berlin, Amsterdam, and Barcelona (in no specific order.)
Note: The below was the original information presented prior to January 7, 2017. The article was first posted on January 5, 2017.
On Christmas day, U2 announced that they would be doing some special shows to celebrate The Joshua Tree this year, and that Songs of Experience would also be released this year. As the last week has progressed a number of rumours have appeared concerning this possible announcement. It has become clear that the entire spring / summer tour will be a tour to celebrate The Joshua Tree, and it is possible that Songs of Experience may not follow until after the summer tour.
We wanted to collect some of the rumours here for you to see. All rumours are being reported here with a source that you can follow back for more information, please follow these links if you would like further information. All of the information below is to be considered a rumour, and we have credited the sources where we first saw the information. As such, no planning of flights and accommodations and the like should be done based on these dates and information. Please use caution when viewing rumours, and please use u2.com and other credible sources for finding out the information on Monday when announced.
- The North American tour may start on May 12th. (source u2tour.de, http://u2tour.de/news/article5613.html)
- Rehearsals will likely take place in Vancouver. (Source u2start.com, Twitter: https://twitter.com/U2start/status/816935394906439680)
- The band will be playing stadiums. (Source: Billboard Article, now deleted to remove this mention – see below)
- The band will possibly release a single from “The Joshua Tree” in a new form to promote the announcement. (http://www.u2songs.com/news/new_single_ahead_the_joshua_tree_remixed)
- “The Joshua Tree” may also be re-released this year for the 30th Anniversary. (http://www.u2songs.com/news/new_single_ahead_the_joshua_tree_remixed)
- The announcement of the tour will likely take place on January 9, at approximately 9am EST. (Source: u2chile.net, Original article: http://u2chile.net/web/rumor-anuncio-del-tour-2017-enero/)
- The first rumoured show with a date attached is a two show stay at Los Angeles at the Rose Bowl.(Source: atu2.com, Original article: http://www.atu2.com/news/rumors-u2-live-announcement-jan-9-la-show-may-20.html), UPDATE: atu2 now also have a promo graphic for the Rose Bowl shows, you can see it if you head over here
- Tickets will go on sale on January 17th for the Los Angeles show and possibly others.(Source: atu2.com, Original article: http://www.atu2.com/news/rumors-u2-live-announcement-jan-9-la-show-may-20.html)
- There is a show rumoured to be taking place at Chicago’s Soldier Field on June 3, 2017. (Source: u2songs.com, Original article: http://www.u2songs.com/news/rumour_joshua_tree_tour_in_chicago
- There are two shows rumoured for East Rutherford’s MetLife Stadium, possibly around June 24th. (Source: Billboard Article, now deleted to remove this mention, source for date: u2tour.de, Original article: http://u2tour.de/news/article5613.html)
- There is a show rumoured for the FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland (source: oWOW Radio on Twitter, Original tweet: https://twitter.com/oWOWRadio/status/811647443737645056)
- There is a show rumoured for early June for Toronto’s Skydome.
- In Philadelphia on Monday there are two different concert announcements expected according to DJs at WMMR. One is expected at 7am and another at 8am. These may be unconnected to the U2 tour, as they have not been identified in any way as U2 announcements but with the timing they could be part of the U2 announcement. (Source: WMMR Radio via U2sJerseygirl: (https://twitter.com/933WMMR/status/817569385451782144)
- The band may also make an appearance at the Bonnaroo festival in Tennessee in early June. (Source: Reddit, Original posts: https://www.reddit.com/r/bonnaroo/comments/570b07/2017_bonnaroo_rumor_confirmation_thread/)
- Bonnaroo’s full line up will be announced on January 11 at 8am (local time in Tennessee) with tickets going on sale immediately following the announcement.
- The opening act for the North American shows may be Mumford and Sons for some shows. (Source: U2Place.com, Original article: http://www.u2place.com/newsdett.asp?idN=9630&ecco-chi-aprira-probabilmente-i-prossimi-concerti-degli-u2-in-europa-e-stati-uniti-rumor%2F)
- The Lumineers may also be opening some shows this summer. (Source: u2songs.com, Original article: http://www.u2songs.com/news/rumour_joshua_tree_tour_in_chicago
- The European tour may start on July 7-8th. (Source requested not to be named)
- European dates are likely two nights for each city. (Multiple rumours see below)
- A date for London is likely the start of the European leg with a show possibly planned for Wembley Stadium on July 8th, 2017. This would be the first Joshua Tree show on the European leg of the tour if it happens. (U2Songs.com: http://www.u2songs.com/news/u2_joshua_tree_tour_rumours_london)
- A date is planned for Barcelona at the Olympic Stadium in the first part of July. (U2 en España – El libro on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/U2enEspana/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf)
- Berlin’s Olympic Stadium is rumoured to be getting concerts and Paris is as well. (Source requested not to be named)
- Rome is rumoured to be getting a concert on July 15th and 16th at the Olympic Stadium. (U2Place.com: http://www.u2place.com/newsdett.asp?idN=9628&ecco-quando-gli-u2-suoneranno-in-italia-rumor%2F) A second source reports that these will be the 15th and the 17th instead, so please remember all of these are rumours until published. (Source: The Rock Blog via Paola, http://www.therockblog.net/concerti-tour/u2-concerti-tour-italia-date-biglietti-scaletta/)
- The date for Paris is possibly July 25, 2017 at Stade de France. (CncrtFr on Twitter: https://twitter.com/cncrtfr/status/817856527939891200)
- A Netherlands based radio station has confirmed they will be giving away concert tickets soon, but did not confirm whether or not this would be in country. (Radio Veronica, https://twitter.com/radioveronica/status/816274274818359296?s=07) The radio station is now no longer using mentions of U2 in the promotion (although they did on air for the first day), but are now saying the act will be revealed on Monday. The contest is a large contest as they are giving away multiple tickets every day over the next few months suggesting, but not confirming that it may be for a local performance. (further information by @AnitaHartgers, https://twitter.com/AnitaHartgers/status/817347716250484736)
- A well connected source has contacted us telling us that there may be a date in Brussels on August 1. (Source: U2Songs.Com, http://www.u2songs.com/news/tour_rumour_brussels)
- U2 will play Dublin. It will not be the end of the tour. More information soon.
- The entire tour is planned to be 35 – 40 shows in total across both continents.
- Noel Gallagher is rumoured to be the opening act for the European shows. (Source: U2Place.com, Original article: http://www.u2place.com/newsdett.asp?idN=9630&ecco-chi-aprira-probabilmente-i-prossimi-concerti-degli-u2-in-europa-e-stati-uniti-rumor%2F)
- The European leg may end in August.
Ticket pricing, and configurations of seating etc have not yet been rumored. All of the information above is to be considered a rumour, and we have credited the sources where we first saw the information. As such, no planning of flights and accommodations and the like should be done based on these dates and information. Please use caution when viewing rumours, and please use u2.com and other credible sources for finding out the information on Monday when announced.
The original Billboard article, posted December 25, 2016, included a paragraph that stated: “Sources tell Billboard that U2 will be hitting U.S. stadiums beginning in late spring, followed by a run through Europe. No word on when the specific dates will be announced: a rep for the group did not immediately respond to request for comment. Furthermore, those U.S. dates are expected to include a headlining performance at Bonnaroo — which will return to Manchester, Tenn. from June 8-11 — as well as two dates at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., according to sources.” The article was edited later that day to remove the above information from the article.
We thank our colleagues at other U2 sites for sharing information such as above, and if you are looking for up to date information, we suggest checking out some of these sites included in the above links:
- U2 en España – El libro
- U2songs.com on Twitter and Facebook
- #U2JT30 on Twitter
(Please note, these are sites actively sharing information we used in the article above, and is not supposed to reflect a full list of sites that we use, visit, or think are important. They are sites which have contributed information to the article above.)