SPOILERS: Day Two: The Joshua Tree Tour 2019 Rehearsals
Original Stories by Aaron J. Sams (2019-11-03)
Rehearsals continued in Auckland, NZ, for The Joshua Tree Tour 2019. Bono has joined the rest of the band, and was present at rehearsals today. He had missed the first day in Auckland and only the band rehearsed.
Please note that we know some of our readers are trying to avoid spoilers, and we ask that others try to help them do this by not posting song titles in comments on our social media feeds. That being said there are spoilers below for songs that were rehearsed on the second night. Look away at this point if you wish to know no more.
Yesterday U2 posted a few spoilers of their own on social media, with “Ultra Violet (Light My Way)” being posted on most of their social media feeds and “Mothers of the Disappeared” being shared on their Instagram story. These were both taken from the first day of rehearsals.
The second day saw U2 perform the following:
- “Love is Bigger Than Anything in its Way” (Guitar Only)
- “The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)”
- “Beautiful Day”
The band then took a short break before returning to do additional songs:
- “Mothers of the Disappeared”
- “Angel of Harlem”
- “Elevation” (with Bono wearing elements of the Macphisto costume from 2018 performances)
- “Even Better Than the Real Thing” (including a similar speech to 2018’s performances)
- “Every Breaking Wave”
- “You’re the Best Thing About Me” (Similar to 2018’s performances)
- “Beautiful Day”
On the first day of practice “Elevation,” “Vertigo,” “Mothers of the Disappeared,” “Every Breaking Wave,” “Even Better than the Real Thing” and “Beautiful Day” were also done, but the band had also practiced “Angel of Harlem,” and pieces of “Ultra Violet (Light My Way).” These three were not practiced on the second day. “Love is Bigger Than Anything in its Way” and “You’re the Best Thing About Me” were new to practice tonight, and both are taken from Songs of Experience and were last played at the final show of the Experience + Innocence tour. “The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)” was last played regularly in full on the Innocence + Experience tour in 2015, but was teased at the end of the night during the Dublin shows in 2018.
Security is being tight with people hanging around outside the shows, and there are reports that people are being asked to move along, and to delete any recordings that they are caught making.
The band wasn’t initially expecting to have access to the venue this early, as Metallica was originally booked to be doing a show at Mt Smart, but they have since had to cancel their tour. This has allowed U2’s team early access to set up the stage and to start some early rehearsing. Today had been the first planned day of rehearsals. It is expected that rehearsals will continue daily up until the 6th, and we will report on them as information is available. Many thanks to Stretch, Remy and U2Start.com for information about the rehearsals to date.
Other Rehearsal Updates:
- October 25, 2019: Tour Updates and Rehearsals (Monaco Rehearsals)
- November 2, 2019: Auckland Day One Rehearsals
- November 3, 2019: Auckland Day Two Rehearsals
- November 4, 2019: Auckland Day Three Rehearsals (Full show)
- November 5, 2019: Auckland Day Four Rehearsals
- November 6, 2019: Auckland Day Five Rehearsals (Full show)
- November 7, 2019: Auckland Day Six: No Song Spoilers
- The Joshua Tree Tour 2019 Showtime Time Zone Converter
- The Joshua Tree Tour 2019 News and Information
- This is Where You Can Reach Me Now (U2Songs coverage of the upcoming tour.)