Two New Vinyl Reissues on Coloured Vinyl
Original Story by Aaron J. Sams (2019-08-26)
Updated Information: September 13, 2019
As we told you in our earlier story, these vinyl releases of October on cream coloured vinyl and Pop on orange coloured vinyl will be released in a similar pattern to previous coloured releases and will be exclusives in some countries. If you bought one of the previous colour releases at a local shop you’ll likely find these new pressings at the same shop, as distribution seems to be the same at this time. A list of retailers that we know about are included below. October is a single disc, Pop is a more expensive package because it will contain two discs.
- Canada: Both will be available at the Sunrise Records Chain
- Germany: Saturn and Media Markt will offer both titles.
- Italy: La Felrinelli will offer both releases.
- Japan: Both will be available through HMV.
- The Netherlands: These releases will be exclusive to Independent Record Stores (Including Velvet, North End Haarlem, Plato Mania, and Sounds.
- UK (HMV Exclusive): October at £22.99 and Pop at £34.99
Original Story: August 26, 2019
Our sources at Universal have shared with us that continuing their reissues of U2 albums on limited coloured vinyl, there are two new releases set for October 11, 2019.
October will be reissued on cream coloured vinyl. This will be the single disc version of the album, using the 2008 remastered audio. Pop will also be reissued, on orange vinyl. This will be a double vinyl release. It is expected they will use the same master that was used for the 2017 pressing in black vinyl for this album. The catalog number for Pop on orange vinyl will be 7792812 (UPC: 602577928123), while the catalog number for October on cream coloured vinyl will be 7792804 (UPC: 602577928048). Pre-orders for both should start soon. The albums will be 180gsm vinyl. It is not expected that they will include a download card.
Both titles will be exclusives. In some countries such as The Netherlands, they will be available only at independent record stores. In other countries such as the UK, they will only be available through one specific chain. In the UK that chain is expected to be HMV. We will update with a full list of shops as that information becomes available. In the past, these limited coloured releases have also been made available through U2.Com, and at a variety of stores worldwide (Sunrise Records in Canada, FNAC in Belgium and France, and The Sound of Vinyl website for customers in the USA.) U2.Com also usually supplements the release with added offerings which have included T-shirts and lithographs, but at this time, have not yet announced these releases of October or Pop. Both previous sets of issues on coloured vinyl have been part of a larger release on coloured vinyl by a number of artists. When U2’s The Unforgettable Fire and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb were released, they were two releases in a set of sixteen, which included releases by other artists such as Duffy, Elton John, and others.
The previous recent releases on coloured vinyl are as follows:
- June 7, 2019: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb on red vinyl, The Unforgettable Fire on wine vinyl.
- February 22, 2019: No Line on the Horizon on clear vinyl.
- November 23, 2018: The Joshua Tree on gold vinyl.
- October 12, 2018: Zooropa on blue vinyl.
Previous U2 releases in this set have been pressed at 20-30,000 copies worldwide and are usually readily available in record shops where they are made available. As these are exclusives, they will not be available in all record shops, but if they are not carried in your area can usually be bought through U2.Com. We will have more information as it is made available. We are told that it is expected that another set of coloured vinyl releases will follow in the Spring.
The coloured vinyl releases continue on from a series of re-issues on black vinyl as well, including some of these same titles. Pop for instance was just issued on April 13, 2018 in black vinyl. (October has been kept in print in black vinyl since its 2008 pressing.) The following are a list of the black vinyl releases done in recent years:
- February 22, 2019: Black vinyl release of No Line on the Horizon [Link]
- September 28, 2018: Black vinyl reissue of The Best of 1990 – 2000 [Link]
- July 27, 2018: Black vinyl release of The Best of 1980 – 1990, Zooropa and Achtung Baby [Link]
- April 13: 2018: Black vinyl release of All That You Can’t Leave Behind, Wide Awake in America and Pop [Link]
- March 31, 2017: Black vinyl release of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb and War [Link]
For those looking for information on other upcoming releases, like the home videos from past tours, we keep a section which is regularly updated here.