Two New Vinyl Reissues on Coloured Vinyl
Original Story by Aaron J. Sams (2019-10-10)
Updated October 10, 2019::
Good news and bad news. The good news is that pre-orders of October and Pop have started to ship to some customers in the UK and Germany. Some customers have even started to receive their copies already. Orders from the U2.Com shop have also started to ship.
But like the previous releases on coloured vinyl, these are facing shortages and are now being delayed in some countries. Many of those who ordered through FNAC in France are now getting notices that the shipments will be delayed until October 25th. The release has also been delayed in Canada, where Universal has confirmed there is a delay but has not provided a firm date, except that they are expecting it to be a number of weeks, and it could be November before these arrive in Canada.
One set that has arrived can be seen in the tweet below:
The releases use the 2008 and 2018 sleeves for the releases in black vinyl but have a new UPC sticker over the originals.
Updated Information: September 13, 2019, September 19, 2019 and October 6, 2019
As we told you in our earlier story, these vinyl releases of October on cream coloured vinyl and Pop on orange coloured vinyl will be released in a similar pattern to previous coloured releases and will be exclusives in some countries. If you bought one of the previous colour releases at a local shop you’ll likely find these new pressings at the same shop, as distribution seems to be the same at this time. A list of retailers that we know about are included below. October is a single disc, Pop is a more expensive package because it will contain two discs.
- Belgium: These will be available at FNAC as an exclusive. Bilbo Records had been listing them on their site but have started cancelling orders as they will not carry them due to the FNAC exclusive.
- Canada: Both will be available at the Sunrise Records Chain
- France: Both are available for pre-order at FNAC and will be exclusive to that chain. (October, Pop)
- Germany: Saturn and Media Markt will offer both titles.
- Ireland: Tower Records should offer both releases.
- Italy: La Felrinelli will offer both releases.
- Japan: Both will be available through HMV.
- The Netherlands: These releases will be exclusive to Independent Record Stores (Including Velvet, North End Haarlem, Plato Mania, and Sounds.
- Poland: The two releases will be availalble through Empik in Poland.
- UK (HMV Exclusive): October at £22.99 and Pop at £34.99
The full set of releases as part of the Universal Records coloured vinyl collection due on October 11, include the two U2 releases as well as the following albums:
- Public Enemy – It Takes a Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back (Translucent Yellow) Universal
- Amy Winehouse – Lioness (Translucent Blue) Universal
- Queen – Jazz (Pink) Universal
- Creedence Clearwater Revival – Willy and the Poor Boys (Mint Green) Universal
- Rick James – Street Songs (Red Vinyl) Universal
- Various Artists – Grease Original Soundtrack (Pink Vinyl) Universal
- Spice Girls – Spice (White) Universal
- Various Artists – Pulp Fiction Original Soundtrack (Translucent Yellow) Universal
- Fall Out Boy – From Under the Cork Tree (Translucent Blue) Universal
- Sublime – Sublime (Pink) Universal
- Gregory Porter – Liquid Spirit Coloured (Clear) Universal
- Tears for Fears – Songs from the Big Chair (Orange) Universal
- Hozier – Hozier (Orange) Universal
- The 1975 – The 1975 (White) Universal
- INXS – The Very Best (Red) Universal
- The Killers – Direct Hits (Clear) Universal
- John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers – (Translucent Green) Universal
- The Rolling Stones – Aftermath (Blue) Universal
- Lady GaGa – The Fame (Blue) Universal
- The Velvet Underground – The Velvet Underground (White) Universal
- Marvin Gaye – I Want You (White) Universal
- Thin Lizzy – Jailbreak (Grey) Universal
Original Story: August 26, 2019
Our sources at Universal have shared with us that continuing their reissues of U2 albums on limited coloured vinyl, there are two new releases set for October 11, 2019.
October will be reissued on cream coloured vinyl. This will be the single disc version of the album, using the 2008 remastered audio. Pop will also be reissued, on orange vinyl. This will be a double vinyl release. It is expected they will use the same master that was used for the 2017 pressing in black vinyl for this album. The catalog number for Pop on orange vinyl will be 7792812 (UPC: 602577928123), while the catalog number for October on cream coloured vinyl will be 7792804 (UPC: 602577928048). Pre-orders for both should start soon. The albums will be 180gsm vinyl. It is not expected that they will include a download card.
Both titles will be exclusives. In some countries such as The Netherlands, they will be available only at independent record stores. In other countries such as the UK, they will only be available through one specific chain. In the UK that chain is expected to be HMV. We will update with a full list of shops as that information becomes available. In the past, these limited coloured releases have also been made available through U2.Com, and at a variety of stores worldwide (Sunrise Records in Canada, FNAC in Belgium and France, and The Sound of Vinyl website for customers in the USA.) U2.Com also usually supplements the release with added offerings which have included T-shirts and lithographs, but at this time, have not yet announced these releases of October or Pop. Both previous sets of issues on coloured vinyl have been part of a larger release on coloured vinyl by a number of artists. When U2’s The Unforgettable Fire and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb were released, they were two releases in a set of sixteen, which included releases by other artists such as Duffy, Elton John, and others.
The previous recent releases on coloured vinyl are as follows:
- June 7, 2019: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb on red vinyl, The Unforgettable Fire on wine vinyl.
- February 22, 2019: No Line on the Horizon on clear vinyl.
- November 23, 2018: The Joshua Tree on gold vinyl.
- October 12, 2018: Zooropa on blue vinyl.
Previous U2 releases in this set have been pressed at 20-30,000 copies worldwide and are usually readily available in record shops where they are made available. As these are exclusives, they will not be available in all record shops, but if they are not carried in your area can usually be bought through U2.Com. We will have more information as it is made available. We are told that it is expected that another set of coloured vinyl releases will follow in the Spring.
The coloured vinyl releases continue on from a series of re-issues on black vinyl as well, including some of these same titles. Pop for instance was just issued on April 13, 2018 in black vinyl. (October has been kept in print in black vinyl since its 2008 pressing.) The following are a list of the black vinyl releases done in recent years:
- February 22, 2019: Black vinyl release of No Line on the Horizon [Link]
- September 28, 2018: Black vinyl reissue of The Best of 1990 – 2000 [Link]
- July 27, 2018: Black vinyl release of The Best of 1980 – 1990, Zooropa and Achtung Baby [Link]
- April 13: 2018: Black vinyl release of All That You Can’t Leave Behind, Wide Awake in America and Pop [Link]
- March 31, 2017: Black vinyl release of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb and War [Link]
For those looking for information on other upcoming releases, like the home videos from past tours, we keep a section which is regularly updated here.