U2 Go PopMart
Press Release by PRNewswire (1997-02-12)
NEW YORK, Feb. 12 /PRNewswire/ — U2 begin the first leg of their international PopMart tour in America at Las Vegas’ Sam Boyd Stadium April 25.
The PopMart tour — a giant, sci-fi disco supermarket setting — will play in stadiums in 62 cities in 20 countries through December 1997, and extends into an additional 20 countries in 1998. “POP,” U2’s 8th studio album, is released March 4 in North America, and March 3 in the rest of the world, on Island Records.
PopMart will visit Las Vegas, San Diego, Denver, Salt Lake City, Eugene, Phoenix, Dallas, Memphis, Clemson, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Washington, D.C., Raleigh, New York, Philadelphia, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Oakland, Los Angeles, Madison, Chicago, Boston, Rotterdam, Werchter, Cologne, Leipzig, Mannheim, Gothenburgh, Copenhagen, Oslo, Helsinki, Katowice, Prague, Wiener Neustadt, Nurnberg, Hannover, London, Leeds, Dublin, Edinburgh, Paris, Montpellier, Reggio Emilia, Thessaloniki, Tel Aviv, Toronto, Minneapolis, Detroit, Montreal, St. Louis, Tampa, Jacksonville, Miami, Indianapolis, New Orleans, San Antonio, Atlanta, Houston, Mexico City, Vancouver and Seattle.
On tour with U2 will be the world’s largest video screen, a high-technology, state-of-the-art structure using 22 miles (35 kilometers) of cable, 21,000 circuit boards, 120,000 connectors, and 150,000 pixels made up of 1,000,000 LEDs. The enormous screen is 150 feet x 50 feet, covering 833 square yards (700 sq. meters) yet weighs only 65,000 pounds.
The PopMart stage design includes a single Golden Arch 100 feet high, a 35-foot-high Mirrorball Lemon, a 12-foot-wide internally illuminated Stuffed Olive (on a 100-foot-tall toothpick) — and a 3-inch-tall Squeaky Nun.
On hand for the band to work with will be 1,000 lighting fixtures including over 5,000 feet of disco rope lighting, a large Plexiglas dance floor, 6 lightning machines, 6 broadcast tv cameras, 1 headset camera, 20 Xenon searchlights, 100 strobe lights — in addition to the 35-foot-high Mirrorball Lemon.
The touring ensemble, consisting of over 200 people, and the stage set (including a 30-ton PA system as part of 1,200 tons of equipment) will travel on 15 buses and 52 trucks.
By special arrangement, MTV and VH1 will present U2’s PopMart in the United States, giving fans an early opportunity to buy tickets through the networks’ Tickets First program. Beginning on Friday, February 14, for a one-month period, tickets will be sold the Friday evening before the general public Saturday on-sale dates.
NORTH AMERICA 1ST LEG
- Fri. 25th Las Vegas Sam Boyd Stadium
- Mon. 28th San Diego Jack Murphy Stadium
- Thurs. 1st Denver Mile High Stadium
- Sat. 3rd Salt Lake City Rice Stadium
- Tues. 6th Eugene Autzen Stadium
- Fri. 9th Phoenix Sun Devil Stadium
- Mon. 12th Dallas Cotton Bowl
- Wed. 14th Memphis Liberty Bowl
- Fri. 16th Clemson Death Valley Stadium
- Mon. 19th Kansas City Arrowhead Stadium
- Thurs. 22nd Pittsburgh Three Rivers Stadium
- Sat. 24th Columbus The Ohio Stadium
- Mon. 26th Washington, D.C. R.F.K. Stadium*
- Thurs. 29th Raleigh Carter Finley Stadium
- Sat. 31st New York Giants Stadium*
- Sun. 8th Philadelphia Franklin Field*
- Thurs. 12th Winnipeg Winnipeg Stadium
- Sat. 14th Edmonton Commonwealth Stadium*
- Wed. 18th Oakland Oakland Coliseum
- Sat. 21st Los Angeles L.A. Memorial Coliseum*
- Wed. 25th Madison Camp Randall Stadium
- Fri. 27th Chicago Soldier Field*
- Tues. 1st Boston Foxboro Stadium*
* DENOTES ON SALE DATE OF FEB. 15
** DENOTES ON SALE DATE OF FEB. 17
- Fri. 18th Rotterdam, Holland Feynoord*
- Fri. 25th Werchter, Belgium Festival site*
- Sun. 27th Cologne, Germany Butweizer Hof
- Tues. 29th Leipzig, Germany Festweise
- Thurs. 31st Mannheim, Germany Maimankt
- Sat. 2nd Gothenburg, Sweden Ullevi
- Mon. 4th Copenhagen, Denmark Parken**
- Wed. 6th Oslo, Norway Vallehovin*
- Sat. 9th Helsinki, Finland Olympic Stadium
- Tues. 12th Katowice, Poland Sleski Stadium
- Thurs. 14th Prague, Czezh Republic Strahov Stadium**
- Sat. 16th Wiener Neustadt, Austria Airfield*
- Mon. 18th Nurnberg, Germany Zeppetinfeld
- Wed. 20th Hannover, Germany Expo
- Fri. 22nd London, England Wembley Stadium
- Thurs. 28th Leeds, England Roundhay Park
- Sat. 30th Dublin, Ireland T.B.A.
- Tues. 2nd Edinburgh, Scotland Murrayfield
- Sat. 6th Paris, France Parc des Princes*
- Mon. 15th Montpellier, France Espace Grammont
- Sat. 20th Reggio Emilia, Italy Festival Site
- Fri. 26th Thessaloniki, Greece Kaftatzoglio
- Tues. 30th Tel Aviv, Israel Hayarkon Park * DENOTES ON SALE DATE OF FEB. 15 ** DENOTES ON SALE DATE OF FEB. 17
NORTH AMERICA 2ND LEG
- Sun. 26th Toronto, Canada Skydome*
- Wed. 29th Minneapolis Metrodome
- Fri. 31st Detroit Silverdome
- Sun. 2nd Montreal, Canada Olympic Stadium
- Sat. 8th St. Louis Trans World Dome
- Mon. 10th Tampa Tampa Stadium
- Wed. 12th Jacksonville Municipal Stadium
- Fri. 14th Miami Pro Player Stadium
- Wed. 19th Indianapolis Hoosier Dome
- Fri. 21st New Orleans Superdome
- Sun. 23rd San Antonio Alamodome
- Wed. 26th Atlanta Georgia Dome
- Fri. 29th Houston Astrodome
- Tues. 2nd Mexico City, Mexico Autodromo
- Tues. 9th Vancouver, Canada B.C. Place Stadium
- Thurs. 11th Seattle Kingdome
- NEW ZEALAND
- SOUTH AFRICA
- SOUTH EAST ASIA
Michael Cohl, on behalf of the recently formed TNA Group, announced today the launch of U2’s world-wide PopMart tour. The TNA Group was formed just over a year ago to capitalize on 20 years of innovation and excellence in the presentation and production of global entertainment events.
Today’s announcement of the worldwide U2 PopMart tour maintains the global vision. In the course of the next 12 months, U2 will visit Europe, North and South Americas, Southeast Asia, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa and more locations.
Over the past 20 years, the TNA Management Team have promoted thousands of shows including the three most successful tours in concert history: the 1989/90 Rolling Stones Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour; the 1994 Pink Floyd Division Bell Tour, and the 1994/95 Rolling Stones Voodoo Lounge Tour. The TNA team has also promoted David Bowie’s Sound & Vision Tour, Paul Simon’s Born At The Right Time, and most recently David Bowie’s Outside Tour. The TNA team features Concert Productions International alumni Arthur Fogel, President of TNA and former President Concert Productions International, Steve Howard, Vice President TNA, and Gerry Barad, Director of Touring.
Cohl said: “On behalf of the TNA team, I’m proud to be a part of the U2 PopMart tour — which will surely be one of the most successful tours ever.”
< Next News Entry | Previous News Entry >
u2songs.com was formerly known as u2wanderer.org. Follow us on Twitter | Facebook