BBC Maida Vale Studio, London, England
Set List of Show:
- "Boy / Girl"
- "With a Shout (Jerusalem)"
- "I Threw a Brick Through a Window"
Snippets of Other Songs Performed by U2:
U2 perform at Maida Vale studios for the Richard Skinner show. The deluxe version of October released in 2008 includes three of these songs, “With a Shout,” “I Threw A Brick Through A Window” and “Scarlet.” The booklet accompanying that release list that the show was produced by Dale Griffin and engineered by Mike Robinson and Mark Farrar. It also lists the date of recording as September 3, 1981, and lists that it was first transmitted on the BBC on September 8, 1981.
The performance sees U2 trying out a new song, “Scarlet” for the first time ever. Perhaps they didn’t like it, as the song doesn’t appear live in concert again until the 2010 leg of the U2360 tour.
Often this is referred to as the Kid Jensen broadcast, but that interview took place later in the year, and may have just been an interview. The two have been included on bootlegs together, which may have lead to some of the confusion.
Officially Released Tracks
- I Threw a Brick Through a Window (Live from London, Sep. 3, 1981 - Richard Skinner)
- Scarlet (Live from London, Sep. 3, 1981 - Richard Skinner)
- With a Shout (Jerusalem) (Live from London, Sep. 3, 1981 - Richard Skinner)