Stories of Surrender Tour
On November 1, 2022, Bono's memoir, Surrender was published. As part of the promotion for the book, Bono embarked on a solo tour described as "an evening of words, music, and some mischief".
Of the shows, Bono says, "I miss being on stage and the closeness of U2's audience. In these shows I've got some stories to sing, and some songs to tell…"
A first leg included single shows in each city, and traveled to 14 cities in total with shows in North America and Europe. A second leg was announced on December 12, 2022 including 11 shows at the Beacon Theatre in New York, and a rumoured additional date in Naples at the Teatro di San Carlo to end the tour.
Bono also took part in a number of discussions about the book at various Festivals. Those are at the bottom of this page, and individual entries will be added only if these include a musical performance, but below those is additional information about non-performance appearances.
Stories of Surrender Leg One
The first leg of the tour saw Bono touring small theatres in various cities in North America and Europe, accompanied by Jacknife Lee (Keyboards, Drums), Kate Ellis (Cello, Backing Vocal) and Gemma Doherty (Harp, Keyboards, Backing Vocal).
The venues were theatres with capacities ranging from 1200 (Dublin) to 3600 (Chicago). Dynamic pricing was not in use for the shows on this tour.
On Saturday October 1, a date leaked via Live Nation, followed by a full announcement of shows on October 3. The shows include 14 shows in total with seven in North America and seven in the UK and Europe. Tickets went on general sale on October 7, 2022 (via Ticketmaster and other outlets).
- 2022-11-02: Beacon Theatre, New York, NY (Capacity: 2894)
- 2022-11-04: Orpheum Theatre, Boston, MA (Capacity: 2700)
- 2022-11-06: Meridian Hall, Toronto, ON (Capacity: 3191)
- 2022-11-08: The Chicago Theatre, Chicago, IL (Capacity: 3600)
- 2022-11-09: Ryman Auditorium, Nashville, TN (Capacity: 2362)
- 2022-11-12: Orpheum Theatre, San Francisco, CA (Capacity: 2200)
- 2022-11-13: The Orpheum Theatre, Los Angeles, CA (Capacity: 1976)
- 2022-11-16: The London Palladium, London, England (Capacity: 2286)
- 2022-11-17: SEC Armadillo, Glasgow, Scotland (Capacity: 3000)
- 2022-11-19: O2 Apollo Manchester, Manchester, England (Capacity: 3500)
- 2022-11-21: 3Olympia Theatre, Dublin, Ireland (Capacity: 1240)
- 2022-11-23: Admiralspalast, Berlin, Germany (Capacity: 1756)
- 2022-11-25: Le Grand Rex, Paris, France (Capacity: 2800)
- 2022-11-28: Teatro Coliseum, Madrid, Spain (Capacity: 1395)
Stories of Surrender Leg Two
The second leg of the performances of "Stories of Surrender" was announced on December 12, 2022. Initially eight shows were announced, but an additional three shows were announced on January 5. All of these shows take place at The Beacon Theatre in New York. A final show in Naples, Italy is also rumoured, with the announcement possibly coming on April 18, 2023.
Bono will once again be joined by Jacknife Lee, Kate Ellis, and Gemma Doherty for these shows. These New York shows were rumoured since the start of the first leg of the tour.
On December 11, U2 placed a counter on their Instagram stories counting down to 9am, December 12, where the first eight shows were announced. General sales for the first announced shows started on Thursday, December 15. Sales for the later announced shows start on January 9. The rumoured final show in Naples has not yet been announced.
Although the first shows announced included a presale, where tickets were not at Platinum pricing, general sales made use of Platinum pricing for all but the upper balcony. The later three shows will not have a traditional presale through U2.com but some arrangements are being made to accomodate some subscribers who previously did not use their code for the earlier shows.
It is believed all shows for The Beacon theatre have now been announced.
- 2023-04-16: Beacon Theatre, New York, NY (Capacity: 2894)
- 2023-04-17: Beacon Theatre, New York, NY (Capacity: 2894)
- 2023-04-21: Beacon Theatre, New York, NY (Capacity: 2894)
- 2023-04-22: Beacon Theatre, New York, NY (Capacity: 2894)
- 2023-04-26: Beacon Theatre, New York, NY (Capacity: 2894)
- 2023-04-28: Beacon Theatre, New York, NY (Capacity: 2894)
- 2023-04-29: Beacon Theatre, New York, NY (Capacity: 2894)
- 2023-05-03: Beacon Theatre, New York, NY (Capacity: 2894)
- 2023-05-04: Beacon Theatre, New York, NY (Capacity: 2894)
- 2023-05-07: Beacon Theatre, New York, NY (Capacity: 2894)
- 2023-05-08: Beacon Theatre, New York, NY (Capacity: 2894)
- 2023-05-09: Beacon Theatre, New York, NY (Capacity: 2894)
- 2023-05-13: Teatro San Carlo, Naples, Italy (Capacity: 1737)
Other Surrender Book Related Performances
- 2022-10-07: New York, NY, USA, The New York Society for Ethical Culture (Capacity: 811)
Bono in conversation with David Resnick of The New Yorker including a short performance.
- 2022-10-16: The Times and Sunday Times Tent, Montpellier Gardens, Cheltenham, England (Capacity: 1500)
Bono in conversation with Emma Freud at the Cheltenham Literature Festival including a short performance.
- 2022-10-27: London, England, BBC Television Centre, Studio One (Capacity: 640)
Bono appears on “The Graham Norton Show” to promote his memoir and gives a short performance of “Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad”.
- 2022-11-03: Ed Sullivan Theater, New York, NY (Capacity: 457)
Bono makes a promotional appearance on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and performs some songs.
- 2022-11-27: RAI TV Studio, Milan, Italy (Capacity: )
Bono appears on Che Tempo Che Fa to promote his memoir, Surrender.
- 2022-12-05: Washington National Cathedral, Washington, DC (Capacity: 4000)
Bono speaks with author Jon Meacham
- 2023-06-18: Dalkey Church, Dalkey, Ireland (Capacity: )
Bono participates in the Dalkey Book Festival, sharing lyrics from “Sometimes You Can’t Make it on Your Own”.
Festival Dates (No Performances)
- 2022-06-18: Finnegan's Pub, Dalkey, Ireland
Bono appears at the Dalkey Book Festival in conversation with Irish poet Paul Muldoon, titled "Two Fathers, Two Friends". Bono reads from the chapter, "Beautiful Day", and does not perform.
- 2022-09-21: Moscone Center, San Francisco, CA
Bono appears at the Dreamforce conference, presented by Salesforce. He is in conversation with Salesforce founder Marc Benioff, in a presentation titled “Art, Activism and ‘Surrender’”, and does not perform.
- 2022-11-10: The Paramount Theatre, Austin, TX
Bono appears as part of the ACL Bonus Tracks, in conversation with Brene Brown. He does not perform.
Related Stories of Surrender Tour News:
- "Stories of Surrender" (2022-10-01)
- "Stories of Surrender Questions and Answers" (2022-10-04)
- "The Crystal Ball: A Look Forward" (2022-10-09)
- "Bono at The New Yorker Festival" (2022-10-10)
- "Bono at the Beacon Theatre" (2022-11-03)
- "Bono at the Orpheum Theatre, Boston" (2022-11-05)
- "Surrender Promotion" (2022-11-26)
- "Catching Up With U2…" (2023-01-21)
- "Bono Kicks off a new Leg of Stories of Surrender at the Beacon" (2023-04-16)
- "Breaking Waves: Upcoming Shows and Pre-Sales" (2023-05-06)
- "Filming Surrender" (2023-05-20)
- "5 MORE Albums: Jacknife Lee" (2023-05-22)
- 2022-05-12: New 1978 Playlist by Bono
- 2022-05-10: Bono’s Autobiography Announced: Surrender
- U2 Bibliography: Bono: Surrender: 40 Songs, One Story
Other Related Information: